M2 Material Library

So, I’ve decided to start my own material library. As I’ve just started learning how to make procedural shaders last month, there is a lot of room for improvement; and I gladly welcome any critiques.

The base node groups (dialectic and metallic with grunge) of these first three shaders were patterned off of tutorials by Cynicatpro and 3D Bandit; I’ve modified them a bit on my own too. This first one is painted metal with rust and dirt. I made this a few weeks ago but decided to work on it more this weekend. I’m pretty pleased with the result so far, but i’ll probly end up updating it in the future lol.

The next one that I made is rusty metal. It’s the same node setup as the one before but without the paint.

Attachments

Another one that I made using pretty much the same node setup is worn rubber. All three of these shaders are 100% procedural.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422678[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]422679[/ATTACH]

I have just updated my Worn Rubber and Rusty Painted Metal shaders. A fellow Blender user on Instagram pointed out to me yesterday that the Rusty Metal shader I made is the same as the Rusty Painted Metal one; and, with a few small exceptions, he was right. Because of that, I readjusted the controls for the metal amount inside the node group. While I was editing this, I also decided to add some controls for the rust color. With the Worn Rubber shader, I added the ability to have cracks as well.

Here is the updated Rusty Painted Metal node.

Soon I’ll be posting a lot more information about these on my website.

This could be a good thread! I’ll keep an eye on it :wink:

I hope so:) Awesome man!

I have updated my rubber shader. It was pointed out to me that it looked too much like stone or metal. This could still use some improvements. The main thing that bothers me right now is that the cracks look a little weird as the object angles/curves away. I’ll work on improving that, and post about it when I do.

Also with the above post, the dirt could probly use a little more work too.

I have also converted my previous rubber shader into a corroded metal shader. It’s pretty much a modified version of it. This and the rubber shader are both available on Blend Swap (just click the link in my signature).

I have finally finished developing my rubber shader. I added another layer of cracks along with multiple settings allowing more in depth control.

I have also started planning out my first tutorial. It is going to be over the procedural rusted metal shader. Because of school I’ve been busy with school and soccer, it might not be out for a week or two but hopefully soon.

Can you add my water shader to your library? It can be used for all kind of water from drops to oceans… but requires tweaking.

uws.blend (658 KB)
It’s 48 samples, but it looks good enough with 3 samples.

A ghost shader, may be useful for clouds. I made this accidentally.

ghostshader.blend (564 KB)

Awesome, man! Would it be possible that you upload the blend files for those node groups?
Keep up the good work!

First off, I want to say that you have a lot of potential. Honestly, with the water shader I was expecting it to be just one noise shader instead of the setup that you used; and you also found an interesting way to make the ghost shader. Now as for critiques, I wouldn’t recommend using a noise texture as a bump map for water. It just is too round or perfect, which is why it can also be called a cloud texture. You could use it as a water shader, but I think it would only look right with more subtle bump. If you would like to create a body of water such as an ocean then definitely use the ocean modifier. The only thing I have to say about the ghost shader is that a very similar result can be achieved by using the Facing value from the Layer Weight node as the mix factor as seen in the picture below.

Don’t get discouraged after all that though:) You have really started out well, and I encourage you to keep at it! I’ll pm you my skype username so we can talk sometime:) (just tell me who you are when you send the friend request)

You asked why I am using 4 musgrave textures? I may answer. My shader is animated, and for animated water shader we need two clouds textures moving in different directions and subtracted minimum from maximum. But, Cycles doesn’t have the clouds shader, for faking it we need from 2 to 8 musgrave textures with different scale. For smoke clouds, i use 4. For water with still weather, 2 is enough. 2*2=4, and I don’t use usual noise texture because musgrave is sharper and gives more realistic ocean, try it.
About layer weight, yes, I know this node, but I was making fake subdiv shader, to smooth edges. Using layer weight and color, i only got they sharper, and tried with normals. It was better, but not too much, if cut more in colorramp, edges is only sharper. Then I switched between emission and transparent, and got this. I said that I maked it accidendally, remember? But water shader is experience, and it requires cycles sky or hdr sky, and probably volume cube below for deep water, or water will not be blue.

Ok…I feel really dumb now. I apologize for not noticing the amount of detail put into both of these shaders. I did download both of them but was unable to look into them thoroughly. My intentions were not to belittle you, and you are more than welcome to add any shaders to this material library.

Unfortunately, my computer is not accessible at the moment and won’t be til Sunday, but I am going to take a deeper look into these when I can.

The links is wrong.

Hey! Sorry for the insanely long delay, which link?