Adding objects together but still keeps two materials

Hi so i have a model that has 2 materials assigned but when i import to inoyu as blend file it always has 3 and the extra one does not even apply to anything. But if i export as a fbx then it has the correct amount of mats. Any clue why this is happening and how can i fix it.?THx

This is very annoying. I have a mesh with 2 materials on . When i load up unity it has 2 materials. But if i load that mesh again in blender make no changes whatsoever but save it again it suddenly has 3 materials when i next load it into unity. Makes no sense.

Hi
Got these ears i downloaded want to add to my model i have deleted all materials on the ears join it with my mesh select all and assign to my mesh material only 1 mat is in the file anywhere but when i export to unity there are 2 materials one for the mesh and 1 for the ears i am at a loss as what to do here how can i ensure the mesh and ears share 1 material!!

How many more ways are you going to ask the same basic question !!!
All three alternatives have been merged into one thread.

Well they were all different issues with the same result the same model but different things would cause the extra material so as i came across a different cause i made a postAs for it been basic yea it should be basic but blender is making it bloody complicated i do everything right and no matter how i slice it its a fail I just redid the model for the 9th time and now its got only 2 mats as it should but it got there doing the exact same thing!! as the 8 previous times smh.