Animating an OBJ file?

Hello! I don’t think I can do this- but since I’m still very new to Blender- I thought I’d ask.

If I have an OBJ-say it’s made in something like Sculptris- can I export that OBJ into Blender and animate it? I tried using bones-but that didn’t work-and I was thinking about making a different model for each movement-but that would take up too much space. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!
-Soarx

If I have an OBJ-say it’s made in something like Sculptris- can I export that OBJ into Blender and animate it?
An .obj from sculptris is no different than an .obj from any other application so yes you can animate it.

I tried using bones-but that didn’t work
This sentence is useless. You don’t say what doesn’t work ! We cannot mind read, tell us.

I was thinking about making a different model for each movement-but that would take up too much space. Is there a way to do this?
Explain what you are talking about.

Unfortunately you have supplied little useful info for anyone to be able to help you. We don’t know what you sculptris model is, what armature you have tried to apply (assuming you have used an armature since, if not are you using shapekeys), how you have rigged it or what problems you are encountering. You have not even supplied a link to your blend file so we can see what you are able to see.

if you want help you really need to put in much more effort so anyone willing to help you does not have to try and squeeze the important info out of you. It’s to your advantage to make it as easy as possible for someone to be able to help you

make an armature

parent the object to the armature

assign polygons as different vertex groups with names matching bones

pose

safe keyframes

@1000h, please do not call others baby. That is unfriendly.

@Soarxisscared, obj is a file format for static meshes. When imported to blender it is a normal mesh. From there you can use the animation methods provided by Blender. I suggest to follow some Blender tutorials and get support from the animation sub-forum.

For your information: The BGE supports armature animation and shape key animation.

Sorry- I was just wondering if it was even possible to move an OBJ file.

Thanks-I’ll look around the animation forum.

You can move any object (motion actuator)