Procedural Stripes in Cycles

In case you haven’t seen it elsewhere yet, I thought I’d mention that I posted a tutorial on YouTube on how to do procedural stripes in Cycles. It’s a tutorial I initially wanted to do to after creating my self portrait character in August of last year. In preparing to do the tutorial, I figured out 2 other ways to do what I had done, including one that was extremely flexible and super simple to use. In the tutorial, I show all 3. If you just want the powerful method, you can jump to about the 26 minute mark where I show the easiest to control method. For those who are newer to doing materials, I’d recommend watching the whole video because a part of why I showed all 3 is because it was my hope that someone might see how I put together various things that I had learned to create something interesting and be inspired to do something similar in their own work.

[video]https://youtu.be/mgajlEFcjoM[/video]

One of the great things about the method I show is its great flexibility. In my sketchbook here on BlenderArtists, I previously shared several shirts that I created with this later method. Below is an image that has 10 different variations, some of which were in that post. The two top left shirts were done using the first, most basic method I discovered. The middle shirt on the top row is the second method, which is just a slight variation on the first method. The remaining shirts are all done using the 3rd, most powerful method.

The last two shirts are perhaps the most intriguing. Because by crossing the results of two stripe layers, you can create even more interesting patterns, including plaids. This is intriguing because since coming up with this method, I have seen a number of stripe patterns in my every day life, including a number of crossing stripe and plaid patterns.

I hope you find this tutorial useful!