Could Blender 2.8 support content creation in VR (like in the new UE4 VR editor)?

Hi. I have seen the newtest UE4 live stream about the VR editor, and I thought that it would be really cool for Blender 2.8 to have a custom designed UI, optimised for VR. You enter VR mode, and get a minimal, but useful interface. Imagine sculpting a statue while looking right at it, like in real life. Also, VR navigation implemented by Epic seems pretty nice, but I would still prefer something to track the hand and fingers, like Leap Motion.
[video]https://youtu.be/JKO9fEjNiio[/video]

Think this is the one you should bother :wink: https://twitter.com/dfelinto
looks like he already has something in the works!

This is a very interesting experiment. Yet, it is still far away from being production ready. The “laser” input is flickering a lot and doesn’t seem to be very precise yet. I wonder whether it can be used while sitting at the table.
Right now, it is not more than a toy experiment.

It’s just a preview so it’s obviously not production ready. Still, it is promising, even if the input is flickering the buttons are pretty big so it flickers within that button. They said something in the stream about making it less finicky though. You can use it in a chair too, there’s a button to teleport to move.

Even in this early preview it seemed pretty usable because instead of placing your stuff in 2d and then going into VR to see how it looks you can just stay in the editor and iterate and “feel” if something works or if it doesn’t.

Edit: https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/build-for-vr-in-vr for more information, if someone feels like starting development for a blender version.

I think it’s cool, but it’s a gimmick.

VR is a fad that’s going to die quickly and painfully.

This is awful.
I don’t feel like wearing an helmet on my head for anything.

Also the tech costs at least $1000.

It looks cool, but I can see it being pretty clunky to work with until we also get a proper system of haptic feedback (using gloves, not pointers) and the UE4 guys allow the object placement to take collision into account. Even then, one might have to wait until we have the means to write sensory information into the brain so as make an experience akin to what’s in the Matrix trilogy.

You know though, when I play video games with my wife, I like looking over to her and talk about stuff. I like tackling her and fighting over the controller. I like that kind of first-hand social connection I have when we play, and I think that connection is there whenever you’re playing with a group of friends, and I think that connection i lost when you’re so immersed.

Also, the dichotomy between the video game world and the actual world would be too stark. I would think that when you got up to go pee the visceral shift would be so abrupt that it’d be hard to draw a connection between the two worlds (not sure if that makes sense) and as a result the world that we know isn’t real would feel all the more artificial.

(2 years later) so yeah that VR gimmick has totally died…

(1 year later) VR is definitely not dead.

Yeah, I never understood those who think VR would just, like, go away… For me it seems like such an obvious path for content consuming/creation tech that it’s really just a matter of time before it’ll be somewhat mainstream. And then people will be like “but I like my 2d screen because…” Well yeah, people still like to read physical books even though we have other means of consuming text content. When a new technology enters the market it doesn’t always mean that all the previous ones will just die.

It’s maturing. It does not make sense for every possible scenario, as hyped a few years ago, like new technologies often are. But there are use many cases where it does.