Making my website more helpful to the bge community

So i have been posting Tutorials on youtube and i won’t be stopping that. but my Website, not youtube is not really helping to serve the bge community very much. So i was wondering what i should do to make it more useful to the bge community. maybe i should make it more of a place to download free game assets, textures sound, templates, or something any feedback would be helpful on what i should do with it.

Shaders !

We need node textures and shader templates !

We need a variety of materials, it will really bring up the quality level of our games.

Maybe even a pack? - (bge shaders and node texture pack?)

I find documentation websites like tutorialsforblender3d really really useful.
Perhaps you could do something like this but for nodes? I don’t think there is any decent ‘how to use’ node documentation online.

Simple image + text (small amount) tutorials are very easy to follow and this also means that the ‘reader’ or ‘user’ doesn’t have to skip through the video tutorial, to find the next part.

+1 for “the power of text”!

tutorialsforblender3d.com has the examples of how to properly use the syntax, which the official Blender documentation often lacks (or is super hard to find). For example, this is pretty much useless information, because it doesn’t tell the reader how to use an the Game Actuator, let alone provide an example of how to actually use the logic brick or python equivalent.

So yeah, count me in on the suggestion for making straightforward example pages for various stuff that you find useful, John.

• Tatwi (R. Bassett Jr.)
    www.tpot.ca (The Power of Text) :stuck_out_tongue:

Ps. Many thanks to the likes of ThaTimster, Clark Thames, Ian Scott, and the MANY other folks who have taken the time to make tutorial content. It seriously enriches the lives of others and is a wonderful service to humanity. :slight_smile:

BluePrint Random Definitely node materials and shader templates when we get composting nodes for the viewport. :smiley:

Thatimster very true as well as that people that don’t speak english can use a google translate as well.

Tatwi Yes ture. seems like text is the way to go.

Thanks for the feedback

@Tatwi:
The API is immensly useful, but you need to know how an API works. There are some guidelines here. So that documentation on the game actuator, it tells me exactly what I need to know and nothing more. I used to want lots of examples in the blender API, until I realized that it would make the API outragously long, and would lead to a lot of copy-paste coding.

@john hamilton:
You can do compositing nodes for the viewport using RenderToTexture. I need to make a demo of this as it is quite a powerful tool.

@Everyone:
I think a better place to put tutorials is idealy the blenderwiki, unfortunately I don’t know how to get edit permissions for it (Monster, do you know). Other good places are the game engine wiki. Using these locations instead of your personal website is probably a good idea.

To get credentials - http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Terrywallwork/Verification/Message

I tried out your idea here’s the result i got. Would have never thought of that thanks. Really shows that a lot of the time you don’t need fancy features you just need to know your tools and have a bit of creativity :smiley:

That looks really nice =)

Hay Thanks man :smiley:

Hi John,

Your tutorials are really well done. I Would recommend you to always put which version of Blender you are using and a link for the partial and final .blends.

Greetings,

Ortiz

Wishing I could find an old environment cube mapping tutorial page I used for generation for my project about 12 months back. Resources for this type of thing would be great. The tutorial was actually for an older version (2.42) and I was using 2.69 before. I am missing a few key bits in the process of getting it to render. Put the camera object on another ignored layer and have the environment map type in texture slot but cannot remember if you need another unchecked texture to render to. Is a need for a hub concerning information about the best manner in which to do things in the game engine. Little things like connecting logic bricks between two different objects. Powerful straight cut stuff sitting right under your nose.