issues with texture baking

i always seem to come across an issue with baking. i sculpted a high res model off a base mesh, and used it for a low poly version. i unwrapped and assigned the image as a material for the low poly. when i baked an AO map, it looked broken. the shading cuts off at certain areas, i dont know why this is happening. help pls?

here’s the file i’m working with

Ray distance = 1 meter looks a little bit too much to me… Try lowering it down like starting from 5-10cm (0,05-0,1) and increasing at every test. Also the correct distance may depend from the model scale, try applying it before the bake.

Sparazza

i tried both but nothing happened. i did a bake with a new base mesh model but it seems as though blender doesnt want to interpret the sculpt work that i did…i dont know why

I might be wrong here but what exactly you expect from AO image? Only places where occlusion happens is in between the legs (from where they start to grow ;)), armpits and between the fingers.
If you wanted sculpt details to show up Dirty Vertex colors (or Cycles Pointiness node) are much more informative. See image.
I did bake dirty verts from the copy of the high rez mesh using Emission material and bake option Emission.

hmm that might work out for me.

one last thing, how do you get it to bake so cleanly? everytime i bake, some areas are missing or broken shading. i tried messing with the ray distance a little, but its still just bad.

Here is a file with baked images’n stuff. It’s 32Megs though… Guess, i was adding render samples for the ao; this was some days ago already. For the Emission one sample is enough so it’s much quicker.
Applied scales and fiddled with cage distance a bit, like @sparazza mentions.

okay, now i can see, after applying the scale and lowering the distance, it did what i wanted. im gonna see how to work with the dirty vert colors cuz that looks awesome. thanks for the help