Anybody Home?

I’m about done with this render. if yall got any critiques, i will modify. if ya dont, I am done. So please, throw down those harsh critiques!

The shot looks really good. A little less DoF would help though. You could shift the stools so they are not quite so mathematically arranged. The counter tops are perhaps a little too reflective and polished. Maybe add a few smudges to age it. Also, where is the light from the overhead spotlamps? It appears on the table at right but not the one in the center.

Very good image. I am still very much a junior at modeling so I can but hope my critique is of use. I agree with rjshae on the stools and everything looks too clean. Something looks off with the shadow of the spatula’s on the stove, it looks like a light is coming form a perpendicular source where all the other lights are from a higher position. Perhaps also shift the leaves from the plant a bit as it looks like the wind has no effect on it.

I really like this picture. But you could get much more out of it with a stronger lighting. Currently it looks really flat. In this image you can see that you use only the half of the lightness spectrum. I would make the mid tones much lighter. You can also do that easily afterwards in Photoshop or so.

It could also get more interesting to play with some additional smaller spotlights like light designer often do (just google “light design kitchen”). You will find tonnes of pictures were they use spotlights to make the lighting more interesting. This is only an idea, maybe it’s useful for you.

The modelling and shading are great :)!

I like the image, but it took me a while to figure out what’s going on. I guess the story of the image is: wind blows through the open window and makes that vase fall over. It would be nice if you could make that visually clearer. Maybe with leaves that trace the path from window to vase. Just an idea.

Thanks for the insight, everyone! You guys are the fresh set of eyes every artist needs from time to time. Lots of great input.

I’ve reduced the DoF, fixed the spotlights and spatula shadows, re-added the cabinet lighting, introduced some floating leaves and a fallen apple.
@Weisl- thanks for doing that test on my image, i did zero post-pro on the previous image, but you make a good point on what it can achieve.

I don’t think it was a good idea to use DOF in your render. Depth of field should be used only when you trying to focus in a single object, like those apples on the table, OR when you making a render of a street, house or exterior things. Even on this cases, people are used to use a little bit of it. Using DOF in Interior Renders makes your image looks like toy or miniature… Even in exterior renders (or photos), DOF is used with the intention of making a big scenario looks like miniature. It calls Tilt Shift. Sorry for the grammar mistakes.

Attachments