Windows 10 crashes when using Blender 2.76b

Recently I purchased an ASUS GL752-DH71 (Windows 10, i7 6700HQ, NVIDIA GTX-960M, 16GB ram).

Everytime I launch Blender 2.76b and go to Preferences, Windows crashes giving me this BSOD:

I couldn’t find a thread here about it, but a Google search found this dev thread.
Doesn’t sound like they know exactly what is causing it, but maybe an NVIDIA driver
incompatibility with 2.76b?

I found this page about fixing it (on the Windows side), and tried running “sfc /scannow” from the admin cmd, but it said there were no problems.

Previous Blenders, e.g. 2.75 & earlier, work fine. All my other apps work fine.

This has happened several times, every time with 2.76b.

I can use 2.75 in the mean time, but would like to solve it so I can use 2.76b (again).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Why not just try a newer Blender version than 2.76b ?

2.76b IS the latest official version.

Do you mean a Blender from Graphicall?

Hi,

I’m having the same issue with an optimus laptop.

I have to launch blender executable with high performance card (right mouse button on executable).

Do we can send a bug report as plain users?

Enviado desde mi Galaxy Nexus mediante Tapatalk

Thanks, Asticles!

That appears to have fixed it! :smiley:

I didn’t know you could select the NVIDIA card vs the integrated graphics by right-clicking on blender.exe.

It also brought up an NVIDIA panel that allowed me to choose which adapter to use with any particular app, e.g. Blender.

It’s already reported as a bug…see the dev page link in my first post.

Hope that takes care of it for good. :wink:

Do we can send a bug report as plain users?

Yes.

Do you mean a Blender from Graphicall?

No from https://builder.blender.org/download

If you make bug reports please add all information you have about your system, driver version and so forth.

Cheers, mib

It’s already reported as a bug…see the dev page link in my first post.

Yes but the bug is closed.

Well at least you found the solution…works for me. :yes:

Surprised they closed it…we can’t be the only ones having the problem…maybe
it will be fixed in 2.77.

They closed it because the problem is not on Blender’s side. So, what is there for them to fix? Most interestingly this issue only seems to occur on Win 10 and no other OS whatsoever - despite using the very same version of Blender on all of them…

To quote from the dev thread:
“On non-DOS systems, the CPU and OS make it impossible for userspace software like Blender to cause a BSOD, it must be caused by either a hardware fault or a buggy driver (and allowing non-privileged software to crash the system is a pretty serious driver bug).”

Thanks…my bad. I should have seen that.

Blender on! :wink:

Also on windows 8

Enviado desde mi Galaxy Nexus mediante Tapatalk