Is Cycles a good renderer?

This is really not a question. I used cycles and got really nice results with it. But there is one problem, cycles materials can’t be exported. At least I don’t know how to do it. So I tried other renderers.

Yafaray - I installed it, but it did not render anything. The window pops out and the render finishes in 5 seconds but nothing is visible

LuxRender - very noisy and very slow

Vray - Great, but it costs around 350 dollars.

For now I am back on cycles. What do you use?

Not sure if I follow your logic. If this is about exporting materials (given that we’re not talking about baking), there is no alternative to Blender Internal anyway. So why bother trying other render engines in the first place?

Do you mean that only Blender internal materials can be exported?

Well this is not really about the materials… I have spent last three days trying different renderers and none of them came close to Cycles in regard to the speed and noise level. So in a way I am asking is there really an alternative to cycles, some renderer like Vray that can produce good renders in reasonable amount of time with reasonable level of noise?

Same problem :slight_smile:

Most of the time I am using cycles, since it is designed to work in blender - and it costs nothing
Additionally I use Yafaray (which works quite well for me, have you tried this version: https://github.com/DavidBluecame/Blender-Exporter/releases/tag/v2.0.2?) if I have to deal with caustics or real complex lighting (In my opinion Yafaray has a far better handling of caustics / photons)

Three days of testing is not even remotely close to get to know the bells and whistles of a complex piece of software - like a render engine. There will always be a learning curve.

Anyway, Cycles is most likely the render engine with the best integration into Blender. If it is “the best” render engine for your needs depends solely on, well, your specific needs. If you’re e. g. into ArchViz, Cycles might very well not be your first render choice.

As I said, this is not really a question. And I do seem to ask not that clear questions.

LukeV1 - I tried experimental yafaray version, but I got some error on missing files, so I did not experiment with it any more.

Thats all i have to say, about archviz with cycles.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJlwmvBQNfo

Cycles materials can’t exported, but neither can materials be exported from any other render engine except in the most rudimentary forms. Tell me one that can export a complex material to another render engine and I’ll buy you an imaginary beer for educating me.

And “good” is a relative term. Good for what?

There’s no way to export materials between different render engines. That’s not something missing about Cycles, is missing in every render engine, because they all are different under the hood, and the settings that work for one engine may not work for another.

Is that what you want? Because so far I haven’t seen anyone succesfully exporting a V-Ray Material and loading it perfectly in Cycles or viceversa…

And as @kesonmis said, good is a relative term. What do you need it for?

I need it for regular renders, interiors, spaceships, nothing fancy.

Luxrender can import cycles materials :stuck_out_tongue:

You can’t really “export” materials. Each renderer has it’s own interpretation of a material - and unless somebody has written a conversion routine to interpret one renderer’s material into another - there is nothing you can do except try to recreate the material from scratch.

This isn’t a fault of Cycles - it’s just the way it is. Some renderers (like Blender Internal) cannot recreate materials created in Cycles due to limitations in the render engine itself.

If that is the case - it’s only because somebody has written a conversion script - not because there is something inherently “better” about Luxrender.

Have you tried using the LuxCore render mode? It’s basically LuxRender 2.0 and an entirely rewritten engine. It’s far faster than Classic Lux, and is the future of the LuxRender project.

Apart from that, as Mooney has been saying , what we see as a ‘material’ is just a set of parameters (colours, numbers) that are passed to the material code when it is called upon.
Some render engines/eporters can save these to text or data files. If you want to learn the format one engine stores it in, and write a conversion process, you can. Hence how Lux can read some Cycles materials.

I say some, and this is why it is not common to export/import materials, as most render engines work quite differently. The Lux converter can easily handle matte, glossy etc… but a lightpath node? Lux doesn’t have that. And LUX/cycles are quite similar compared to other engines

I did not try LuxCore, I returned to Cycles. It seems it’s the best renderer for me.

I’ll try Renderman

We had yafary in blender , dont know in wich version of blender.
KIND OF SAD. Yafaray is also awesome but the addons mostly dont work.