Cycle's Displacement Map + hairs (issue)

Hi community !
I’m working on a character with UDIM maps + Displacement maps (Cycle’s node) + fur.

I know this displacement node is experimental for the moment, but it works really good so far.
Exept… that the fur doesn’t stick to displacement deformation. So the final result is weird :confused:

Did someone experienced the same issue ? Is there a workaround ? Or do I have to wait Displacement node to be in supported mode ?

Thx all !

I think that hair particles have to follow a deformed geometry, so you could make use of a displace modifier; in this case you must provide a more subdivided mesh or put a subsurface modifier before in the stack.

paolo

1 Like

Thanks for your help Sourvinos !
Unfortunately I can’t use a displace modifier as I’m using an UDIM texture format (not suported by the modifier).

Seb

You are right, I did’t though to that.
I hope somebody has the answer, though I think that no particle system can take care of an effect which get performed just at the rendering time, I hope I’m wrong.

paolo

Good question Paolo :slight_smile:
I hope there is a solution. Or it means it’s impossible to have a production character with hairs right now with cycles :confused:

If I’m right on the question, not even with any other rendering engine.

paolo

With renderman it should work I will try in a few days and tell you :slight_smile:

Awesome J !!!
Thanks for the tip, I will try this tonight at home :slight_smile:

Well man it’s working like a charm :smiley:
Thank you so much for this great tip !!!
Cheers
Seb

What was the tip/solution?