Rigging with Rigify

Hi, I’m having a problem with the way my mesh deforms whether I’m rigging it normally or with Rigify. The mesh I’m rigging is the one in the “Super Deformed Game Character” in the “Work in Progress” section of the forums. I’m also posting some pictures bellow.

My problem is in the way the legs deform. After some angle, the abdomen is being pushed inside:

The weights at the area. Everything is as generated by automatic weights:

The positions of the bones in the Armature used to generate the rig:

You just need to weight paint that area and remove some influence from the stomach.

Everything else seems to deform nicely with the automatic weights.

Would changing the position of the bone (the one selected above) make things better ? What would be the best position ?

Yes, bone positions do have an effect. In general bones should be in the center of the mesh. For the automatic weights these are based on size and raycasting (so bone orientations matter).

To fix this I would add a new bone (for each side), starting from the pelvis and 45 degrees up to the right in your front view, then parent these new bones to the hips. These bones should be moved so they’re a bit forward (closer to the front side of the legs), then try reparenting the mesh to the rig with automatic weights.

These new bones will help with the automatic deform by “stealing” weights from the legs and thereby making the abdomen area more solid. You will have to experiment with the lengths and position of the bones, they shouldn’t be big, a bit smaller than the hip bone should be fine.

You could also try corrective shape keys. You make those by making new shape keys and sculpting on your mesh to increase the abdomen volume, then either directly animating these shapekeys for the pose or creating a driver. However with the bone method I talked about maybe just that will be good enough.

Indeed, the solution with the new bones between the pelvis and the hips works. The area deforms nicely now, even with automatic weights.

However, this skeleton cannot be used to generate a rig with Rigify now…

My plan is to export this model and use it in Unity. Rigify produced a rig with FK and IK.

I am still a bit wet behind the ears in these matters… I want to make animations such as walking, running, attack etc. What would be the best approach ?

Rigify stops working when you add a bone or two? :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess you can generate a rigify rig with your old rig, then add the bones for the deform bones on some bone layer (I forgot which) and reparent again with automatic weights.

Are you sure you want to use a rigify rig for unity though? People seem to like makehuman rigs more.

I’ve decided to go with a rig of my own making. I like some of the perks Rigify has but I prefer to have more control over how the armature is shaped. Especially since my mesh isn’t exactly the default human mesh.

I’ll have to learn more about rigging in blender… Those widgets and the IKs and FKs Rigify uses were useful, perhaps I can incorporate something similar in my armature…

Thank you both for your help :slight_smile: