A small study of physics scale

It is a relaticvely known fact that physics in blender is about 1m per bu. But how important is this? In a quick study I did, I discovered that the scale in comparison to real objects isn’t important but the overal size of objects is.

First up, here’s my test blend:
physicsscale.blend (481 KB)

In it I drop cubes onto triangle meshes at a variety of scales from a 20bu cube to a 0.02bu cube. I apply a global force to make gravity be the same for each cube’s scale (so they all hit the triangle mesh at the same speed).

Summary:

• Don’t make any physics object smaller than about 0.1bu if you want stability
  • Don’t make single face bigger than 20x20 bu if you don’t want flat faces to cause bumps
  • All objects in blender have a 0.01 bu physics boundary around them, even if you set the margin to zero.
  • Setting the margin smaller makes small objects more stable but big objects less stable
  • Setting the margin bigger makes big objects more stable but small objects less stable
  • The scale setting in scene properties does not effect physics at all.

Conclusions:

• If you’re going to be dealing mostly with 2cm objects, scale everything up by 10
  • If you’re going to be dealing mostly with 2km objects, scale everything down by 10