3D Models of historic wall paintings for the blind

Blind and partially-sighted people can touch history of Saxony, which took place around the Meissen Castle, for the first time. Through three-dimensionality a depth effect is generated to create a haptic experience of the historic wall paintings.

The steps in detail:
Historic wall paintings of the Meissen Castle have been re-created using photos as templates. The 3D Modeling of the wall paintings was carried out using Blender.

Afterwards, the 3D Printing process was conducted using Selective Laser Sintering. During the finishing processes, the individual figures were colored to facilitate the experience for partially-sighted people.

For the first time this new educational offer is open to the public since 25th of January 2016.

More pictures here: https://goo.gl/o91Kew

Wow! Love it! Great job!

Amazing! More art for more people to enjoy it!

Bravo Zulu.

Fantastic idea and such a great project!

The detail you are getting from the 3d printed sculpts is fantastic, without question, some of the best I have seen. My uncle is legally blind with an eye disease that eats away at his peripheral vision, I can imagine how this would be a delight for any vision impaired or blind person.

It would also be real cool to try and replicate the painting using colors that are close to the original. I assume the primary colors used are to further help those with vision issues.

fantastic work sir, really well 3d work, and excellent presentation

super cool idea, and great models. nice job.

What a fantastic idea.
you should really push this to blendernation and as much cg forum as possible.

really nice!