Norse - 2D RPG WIP

Hello all, I would like to share with you my latest game project, its a 2D rpg set in ancient Britain during the Viking invasions. You play a lone Viking, starting your homestead from scratch, defending it from the British, and conquering as much of Britain as you can. Don’t worry Britain I make this game out love <3 I’ve always been obssessed with this time period and this art style so I’m honestly really excited about this project, even though tis pretty raw still.

Trees and shit - anything you can break all use the same code to check for item tier and whatnot, items have damage values that effect these objects differently, eventually these values will be *= skill level of item

Inventory stuff - is pretty much up and running some slots for armor and magic scrolls that work but dont have items yet

This is the newest video, showing off the armor mechanics, see how the shield rotates when walking east (working) vs west(broken) ??? Cant find a fix for this for the life of me. anyone know why Parenting doenst seem to work properly if the localScale is inverted?

PS. Dont be shy with feedback :slight_smile:

Keep@it!

I love the style, its like ultima and minecraft had a 16 bit baby.

I think it could benefit from a faster walking animation (feet), so that it matches the amount of ground moved. Great start so far!

Wow! So cute and nice game:D
Now work on building system, man! I order you!:wink:

Thanks for the feedback :smiley: Couldn’t agree more! I was also thinking it might be neat if when he moves it moves in increments rather than smoothly, but I dont know, I feel like that could get nauseous.

Cheers!

I’m strongly against that your able to chop down the tree when you doesn’t stand next to it. Other than that, this looks like a 2D-version av Mindcraft. (It looks great!)

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

Cool idea and it looks great.

I don’t know if you want it to be just fun or if you’re interested in historical details…
In this time period there was no Britain, only anglo saxon kingdoms who hated each other almost as much as they feared the vikings. The vikings too were split in to a thousand individual war bands who would fight each other as much as the enemy. You might want to have factions in your game so you could get on friendly terms with Wessex while fighting Mercia, or take missions from a viking Jarl (Earl or lord) to raid a rival viking band. Viking mercenaries could happily fight for either side if they converted to Christianity.

Also treasure meant different things to different people. The Saxons were mad about saint’s relics (Like finger bones) While vikings prized good weapons like the fine steel swords made in France. Weapons and items of the period were constantly being worn out and had to be mended or replaced. Shields especially would be used for one fight and then would have to be repaired or replaced. Think of them like crumple zones on a car, they get damaged instead of you. Weapon wear and tear could be a good mechanic to use, especially if you’ve got item crafting in the game.

People of the time believed in magic, like ghost fences (a line of skulls or human heads) which no one would cross, or curses which would be like a voodoo curse. It works because the victim believes it. Christians would receive a blessing from a preist which would make them feel imortal in battle, or relics were worn as necklaces to bring luck and protection.

Hey Smoking mirror! Thank you for the comment! I definitely want this to be more fun than accurate, but i will reference real world events alot in the story and gameplay. The innacuracy is the fantasy element; enchanting items, spells, scrolls, summoning, etc.
I would also like to have factions and a form of map control, where you can ally with other factions to control more of the map, etc. but other factions would band up and such. There will also be fantasy factions like goblin, and warlock factions (warlocks will take land in search for ancient relics)

Duribility is plan, there will also be crafting at some point, its almost working !

The idea is the map will travel similarly to how pokemon or legend of zelda would have. although rather than having hundreds of major citys and towns ill have historically accurate capitols and landmarks, and then some small premade settlements inbetween.

Are you planning to make a multiplayer version of game(MMORPG with faction system)? It’d be awesome that multiple players build a faction with it’s city and than goes on war with other players;)

This is great, definitely keeping my eye on this.

As fun as multiplayer would be, its definitely on the backburner, if i can get all the mechanics working nicely as a single player game then maybe ill look into it :slight_smile:

Cheers :smiley: Hope to have more up soon!

Also, new video on the main post :slight_smile: If anyone knows how to fix that strange spinning shield bug, basically the shield is parented to arm which performs a walking animation upon keyboard activation. when facing west, scale of player = (x,y,z) when facing east, to save on animations, (-x,y,z) this works except with the attack animation and walk animation, for some reason, items parented to the arms seem to inheret the animation as well as the rotation, so its the shield is double rotating when you are facing east