Need help with multiple light sources with cycles

Hello

Im pretty new using Blender, going through Tutorial after Tutorial. Lately I started the following tutorial:

http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/create-an-underground-subway-scene-part-1-of-2/

I bet, many of you have seen this tutorial already, or are at least aware of it.

Anyway. My problem is, when it comes to the lighting. This tutorial is made with blender internal renderer and I’d like to create it with cycles. Fireflies and noise … what else did I expected from so many lights? I’ve read lots about reducing those effects and optimized things here and there. But still it doesnt makes me happy. Maybe, I as a newbie, have a completely wrong understanding of how to make such a scene? Hope you can help me.
For the moment, every light is indeed a area light. And there are many. So, I am wondering what’s the best approach in creating such a scene with cycles? Maybe make one base light and fake those lamps, then with compositor add those light effects? Or even dont use cycles at all for such thing?

I’m happy for every answer.

Thank you

Nexo

I know, this is my first post. But seeing, there’s no answer after 1 week, makes me think that noone cares about a first-time-poster. Or am I just asking something too complicated?
I’d really appreciate, if someone could at least point me to the right direction. I’ve seen many great works created with blender and I’m sure there’s a solution.

I am sorry that nobody answered till now. But, at least for me, you already got the point:

To get “clear” renders in cycles with many light sources, it needs thousands of samples and sometimes it is (at least for unskilled people like me) impossible. That is the point why BlenderRender is still included :slight_smile:

I am sorry that I can not answer your question, but PLEASE do not get frustrated!!

I am sure too, but unfortunately I am not aware of the solution…

PS: You have found a very good tutorial source with BlenderGuru, try out every tut!

Thanks for your sympathy, Luke. Bu still … I’m indeed a bit frustrated. Up until today no more answers, hints or anything else. I begin to ask myself: while it’s that complicated and maybe even impossible to achieve things like this, why should I keep using blender? I know, blender is free and a really great tool. But still … frustrating that is.

Yeah, sometimes blender seems to have some crazy issues…
But I think, because you are on the way learning blender you just have reached a point where you can not go any further - therefore I suggest you just saving the file and start another project/tut.

If I reach such a point I always encourage myself by viewing the art section in this forum or visiting http://www.reynantemartinez.com/ or http://www.creativeshrimp.com/.

Hope you stay with blender,

Luke

Hi, I looked in to the .blend and changed some settings.
This is a 500 samples render.

I change:
Light Path to Limited GI
Reflective/Refraktive Caustics > Off
Clamp Indirect > 5
Switch MIS On for the mesh emitter.
Change Glare settings in Compositing (These are really 80´s style :smiley: )

Will upload the file later and edit link here.

Cheers, mib
EDIT2: This file is really trimmed for BI, it render in 20 Seconds!
I need 1 Minute with my two GTX. :spin:
EDIT3:s
Move the point lights to another layer or delete them, they are not needed.

Attachments

Subway_scene_finished_edited.blend (6.8 MB)

I just finished something similar to this (see link below)

I think Mib2berlin has you on the right track. On mine I also used an HDRI to try and help with lighting issues ,and also used a portal area lamp . Are the 2 ends of the tunnel open?

No matter what, your going to have to throw a lot of samples at it to try and reduce the noise.

http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?392403-quot-Beyond-Repair-quot

Thank you all for your answers. Especially mib2berlin for the file. I certainly will have a look at it. At the moment I dont know exactly who to use the lightpath stuff. I finally got a (not so bad) result. Still some fireflies though. Below you can see how it looks (Don’t blame me, it could have more details, but I’m already happy to made it this far). I used many tweaks like MIS, caustics off, clamping and so on. Basically everything I found somewhere to reduce those fireflies.
The scene was rendered with 1000 samples and took about 15 minutes. Original size is 1920 x 1080

@LukeV1 No,no … Not saving and start a new project. I already have soooo many projects open :wink:

@harleynut
Yes, it has 2 ends. Very nice elevator scene btw :slight_smile:

Hi, you cant really beat BI on such scenes, all fake but looks good.
I have added a big mesh emitter with low strength later behind camera to get more light rays in the scene, help to avoid fireflies.
Do you have a point light still in the lamps or do you use lamp cover as light emitter?
Scene looks nice so far, may to much bump on the walls.
There is nothing to focus on in the scene, need a secret or something, a treasure or something. :slight_smile:

Cheers, mib

I tried with the lamp cover as emitter, but got too many fireflies, I actually are using arealights within the lampcovers.
The mesh emitter with low strengt is a good idea. Will try it, also with a bit less bump.

Nothing to focus … well, was thinking about it for a long time. First I wanted to put a steamtrain into it. But then I thought, it would take too much place. Another idea was a handcar or maybe just a few boxes lying around? I’m not sure about it yet.