Realism on Archviz

Hi guys ! This is my very first Thread on the forum !

I’d like some critiques on my images because i really wanna improve. I wanna know what am i missing. Where could i be better. What do i need to get to better realism.

The reason is because i sent my portifolio to a company and they said they where looking for a more realistic work. So i decided that i need to improve much more.

Don’t need to critique all the images if you don’t feel like.

Two biggest problems I see.

• No edge bevel
  • textures like the stones in first pic are completely flat

And one other problem stands out to me. This has nothing to do with the technical aspect, but rather the logic of your scenes.
Both cars seems to have no logical way to get out of their place. (Unless you want to drift on your carefully cut grass). The giant grass in the first picture on the roof is also weird why would you have it there and how would you water it? These things may seem quite odd to some people and make them question the images.

And maybe are those also too sterile to feel real. Everything is perfectly aligned, no doorbell, no letterbox, no rubbish, no smudges no toys… It all boils down to: I don’t really find there is something really wrong with your pictures, they are technicaly fine more or less, but there is just no life in them, no detail. I am having trouble expressing myself, but hopefuly you get what I mean…

Thanks Adam ! I think i got what you meant

About that, i cannot change that because it’s not my project =P I agree with you about the grass. It soon will become dirt. I’m an architect, but i’m so much more into 3D.

This is my take on your renders - what can be done to improve the renders without compromising the brand-new look. I’m assuming this ArchViz is aimed at architecture studio quality… They want to sell a design with that “new-clean” feel to it, so my usual suggestion of “add grunge” doesn’t necessarily apply. Although images 1 & 2 both have perfectly flat fences, that look like Blender planes. Perhaps put a normal map on them with a stucco finish and grooves every 48 inches or so, as it would probably be made from panels.
Image 1 is obviously late afternoon, as the house lights are on, but I would make the sun a lot redder (and the sky too), and try to cast that reddish sunlight onto the building to give it a mellow glow in contrast to the cooler tones of the lights. The stone walls look ok to me, but the windows look like they are almost on the outside surface on the same plane as the outside of the wall… I would try to inset the windows to give more depth to the stone walls. The other thing I would do is add a Yucca in a pot outside the front door (by the wall), anything growing there would help to lessen the impact of the rather barren expanses of plain white fence/walls.
Image 2 has a depth of field/haze to it which doesn’t seem to match the style of the house and neighborhood - my feeling is go for hard lighting for this image. The next-door house could do with a gutter on the roof. A lawnmower would go across the slope of the lawn, back and forth so stripes might work than the checker-board pattern on the lawn. It took me a while to work out what the glass wall was… again I think panels of glass, with noticeable joints between them might work better. Once again, I’d look for a little more texture for the concrete - the central pillar has a nice texture and the roof is OK, but the walls could do with more texture to my eye.
Image 3 is not really my ideal bedroom (no desk with Blendering PC), how to make it more enticing? Perhaps make the sunlight and the internal lights markedly different in colour so that there are zones of “glow”. Make the carpet thicker/plusher (perhaps more even direction of the pile) and give the mattress a slight bulge (and an uneven gap between mattress and base) softer mattress - more inviting. Add a light switch and a power point. The unit next to the bed seems to have drawers or something but this would be more visible if there were obvious handles or cut outs to open the drawers. One thing I noticed is the skirting boards are different on each side of the room (?)

Thanks for taking so much time for a nice feedback ! I really appreciate your effort to help !
Some things on these images i can’t change because the project belongs to another architect. And other things i leave behind, such as more details, because of the time. These images i have only one day to create. But i’ll try to pay more attention on those things. You really helped a lot ! Thanks again !

Hi there!

I want to try to help as well! If you are honest with yourself, what feeling does the images you create give you? And what is the feeling that you intended? is there a difference? Those are the overall questions that any image need to answer in one way or another. An image is not very different from written text. You read a text and hopefully understand it. Same should go for an image. You should just look at it and more or less instantly understand whats its all about, and what feeling goes with it. For instance with the houses, who lives there? What is that person like? Is it a more practical person or an artistic one? Imagine yourself walking around the house together with its owner and feel the emotions you would feel. Who is this person? What taste does he or she has? Is it a messy person with things lying around everywhere or is it a more structured kind of person? maybe try to write a short story about the person who lives there and about the neighborhood and then create the image from that perspective.

You obviously know how the software works already, after all you made those images above! There is a lot of technical skills going into that. Now I think you have to learn more about the softer skills, like feelings, what makes an image “pop”. I would suggest to check out some tutorials or training on painting or digital 2D art. In 2D the tutorials and educational material available has come further than 3d art tutroials and education when it comes to getting the right feeling into an image. Curves, lines, focal points, how to guide the eye around the image etc. I would also suggest to go straight to intermediate/advanced training. You are already good enough to get the basics down.

I am rambling now, If I do 3D as poorly as I write I am in serious trouble^^ Hope this is of some help.

Thank you very much ! =)