Final architecture render - open for critique

Hope you like the vizualisation of a Norwegian house from a architect office. Critiques are welcome.

As far as detail, it looks pretty good except for the tree bark, but maybe less gloomy weather would look better.

It’s really nice especially the building and the driveway. I think the leaves look a bit flat and the grass maybe too sharp and a bit too much color variation. Grass tends to have that mottled green look in places but not quite so evenly. Good job though!

with the wetness of the ground, I’d expect the building to be a little darker/wetter too

Lighting, its like shadowless materials everywhere.

I’d agree that the lighting and cloudy skies lead to a fairly flat shading for the house. The front walls and side walls are both receiving/reflecting about the same amount of diffuse light, lowering the environment lighting and making the sun stronger, or changing the sun angle might give more variation to the shading and lead to a more sculptural result? Perhaps it might also help to give the impression that there’s somebody home - with a car in the driveway and windows open?

I agree with Kauranga that it doesn’t look lived in. Break up some of the lines. Add some plants on the balconies, etc.

First of all, in a general view, the image looks quite good.
But I give my opinions assuming that this render has been created for professional architectural use.
-Vegetation is ok. No need to be absolutely realistic.
-No need of persons, cars, etc. Architectural renders don’t try to be live images. A digital render also can look like a traditional model.
-Shadows are not the best to represent the building shape. Change the sun position. When the light direction coincides with the camera, shadows are poor.
-I’d subtract a 20% of color saturation.
-There is some kind of stain in the wood texture repeating everywhere, giving the aspect of a tiled texture. Try to erase this mark from the original wood texture image.
-Red door is too red. Seems a plastic door. Perhaps a different kinf of red would be better.
Some changes could look like this:

I think the building looks pretty good…most issues are in the landscape or environment. My thoughts:

Because the sky is overcast, I’m having a hard time believing the shadows on the building (from the tree) are so sharp and dark. This might be more convincing if you replace the sky with a partly sunny sky environment…like the storm has just passed; it might also help to tell a story. I think the tree needs to be UV unwrapped better, and the grass is too uniform. There should be no grass around the base of the tree - grass never grows right up to the trunk. Photoshop would probably be quicker to fix some of these issues. The two hedge rows look kind of bad…looks like you put a leaf texture on a cube - maybe use at least a displacement map if creating shrubs is too time consuming. Most importantly, I would set the camera focal point on the house and set the F-Stop pretty low (maybe 1.5 - 2.2) so that the foreground and background are slightly out of focus - this is where most of the issues are, and it would help to hide.

Thank you all for constructive critique. I will certaily read your remarks again for the next project and try to incorporate some of them :slight_smile: Thanks again!

Overall, it’s OK, but now the crits.

As others have said, the light is wrong. I’m guessing it’s pure HDR lighting, in which case, either the HDR is wrong, or it needs supplementing (with a sun light at the very least). There are a definite lack of realistic shadow. I’d be tempted to add a sun and play with AO.

Second, to me, the displacement (I assume it’s displacement) on the wooden walls looks too much. I understand the need to make it stand out, except in real life, it doesn’t so much.

On the plus side, it has potential to be a great image.

I assume the point of this is to convince someone to actually build this, to that end - the grass in the foreground looks like it’s dying, the midground grass looks a little better, and the background grass looks healthy. This may be due to the lighting, but more importantly it’s the least enticing part of the image. Second, the light may be realistic, but it won’t help sell your idea well, make it warmer (think sunrise), or if you are pressed for time, just apply a warming filter in photoshop.

It’s crying out for sunlight. The shadows cast by the leaves on the wall would look great. Also, the grass is too uniform, it would look better with some of Andrew Price’s “The Grass Essentials”. Here’s the link http://www.blenderguru.com/product/grass-essentials/ . One last thing it needs is a happy couple looking over the balcony as if they are over the Moon with their new purchase.

Hey how do i start a new thread i am super new here!