Hand Painted Chest.

Alright here is my latest hand painted propp. I am not sure about the values and not very happy with the metal.

I think the metal needs more glossiness, and the wood looks a little too smooth, like it’s flat with paint on it.

The hand painted texture is great. I really cannot come up with anything to critique… this just looks sweet as it is!
What is it for?

That’s nice to hear, i always have such a hard time deciding the value when i paint things. This is just another asset that i sell on my store: https://gumroad.com/handpaintedtextures

I have a seperate big page which is being rebuilt at the moment: www.handpaintedtextures.com.

Kindly // Jimmy

This is great! The only things I can even remotely think of are the bolts - they’re a bit flat and they don’t really line up well enough with any of the wood underneath to be properly bolted on (I’m assuming the bolts are there to join the metal and the wood of the lid).

Really though, I’m being pedantic - great work.

Yeah you are right, maybe it’s a little to much stone like, i will look into that. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the feedback!, I actually likr the placement of the bolts, but maybe i should make them in 3d?

I think it looks really great. To make the bolts in 3D could add some more depth.

It is really difficult to critic this work as there are no actual erros and as isn’t photorealistic or comparable to other work. We don’t have anything to compare it with (I hope you understand what I want to say with thit). I took a look at the other models on your website and it fits perfectly into the general look of them. The more saturated look i prefer more, wouldn’t fit in that style at all.
I found one small thing that doesn’t fit the general look of the model. The metal of the keyhole looks too modern and saturated. It doesn’t have any scratches while the rest of the metal parts looks more damaged. But this could also be an artistic desiscion to indicate userinteraction in a game.

I like it a lot. I’ts very detailed compared to other hand painted stuff around. It has a very nice texture to the detail as well.

for the metal you could bake a cavity mask and use it as a spec ( glossiness ) map.

It’s a diffuse only asset so there is no spec map…think torchlight 1/2, warcraft frozen throne…Metal is a really pain in the ass to get right.

Your chest came out really nice a lot better then my crack at it… I should definitely get back into my hand painted stuff.

I don’t think the metal really needs much more reflectivity. It looks like well-worn iron after the rust has been scrubbed clean. Seems good to me.