Old Timer (Car Modeling)

So I gave car modeling (hard surface modeling) a first attempt last night and this is what I cooked up. I learned a lot about how to manage the various materials and parts of the car. The most challenging element in this piece was smoothing everything while retaining the original (general) shape of the previous mesh.

I would love to hear what you guys have to say about it! I am also really struggling with Cycles and the noisy renders it can give. Any tips for that will be great! :slight_smile:

Attachments

I like this model a lot, has a great cartoony feel. The only thing that seems off is the front wheel-well; the shape seems wrong. The intake on the hood seems a bit strange as well; I think maybe a rip in the mesh?

All I can tell you for noise is mess with the clamping (I tend toward .95 direct) in the render settings as well as lowering your lighting in the scene and let AO lighten things up a bit. If you are getting absolute white reflections in your image (and you are) you should try dialing them down until they are just barely absolute white. The fireflies will soften a lot if you do that.

Yes, I also like the cartoony look. The doors however are missing any edge seams, so look a little strange.

Regarding noise, a good explanation of how to reduce it is http://www.blenderguru.com/articles/7-ways-get-rid-fireflies/