Feathers not rendering

So im making this toucan and i have 2 particle systems. one using just hair and white color. and one using black feathers that i have modeled and then grouped. why wont it render outside of the viewport???
i know this has to be something simple im missing

Can you render a dupligroup of fthr_body_main? (just hit shift+a > add group > fthr_body_main)

Also, you probably want the “whole group” option checked in particle render settings, as I assume your group contains the different pieces of the feather? If it contains several different feathers and single meshes, you want “whole group” disabled in that case, but you probably want to enable “pick random”.

It’s been awhile since I used particles to do feathers, but I seem to recall if the feather group contains duplis (like dupliverts to make the barbs) those will not render when the group is instanced through a particle system.

The group is made of three individual feathers that are simply planes with alpha maps. When I select whole group it shows all three feathers together as a unit. But still won’t render. I’ll throw a screen grab of the group or anything else if it helps

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I’m not sure on the dupligroup. I’m not familiar with those

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ah, ok. You don’t want “whole group”, put you probably do want to check the “pick random” box to randomize which feathers are used where. Dupligroups are just empties that instance the contents of a group. Like I said, you can add one with shift+a > group instance. They’re useful for a lot of things like referencing assets from other blend files, or copying objects as a set. This can be a good way to test if the feathers render. Or just try rendering the individual meshes.

If you post the .blend file, people can do a much better job helping you troubleshoot this.

will do. at work at the moment but when i can thanks

Never mind I figured it out
the particle system was on render but dummy me forgot to check if the FEATHERS THEMSELVES had the render viability turned on!