no polygons showing on mesh(s)

Hi all,

I have 3 meshes which I appended into current scene, and while it all seems to be there including animations, no polygons are showing up, only wireframe representations.

I’m far from a newbie, so what would cause this, a incorrect append and can this be fixed ? ;0-0

Windows 10 pro 64bit, BLender 2.76b

thx
Desoto

Did you append a mesh or an object ?
You should be appending the object

Please supply demo blend file with the object you want to append and another blend file where you have appended it and it shows the effect you describe

Ok, I wasn’t thinking earlier, the obvious was just to hit ‘f’ in edit mode with object selected , which of course gave me back the face structure, question how I ever managed to delete it, I guess its a old blend file :slight_smile:

Anyway I 'm unable to upload this because its 18.1 mb, which I have no idea h ow it could be, given its two penguins, poses and that’s it other than camera, WEIRD ? I realize there isn’t much you do , other than is there away to find out why its taking so much room for 2 relatively tiny meshs ? I have one blend, 55ktris at 4 mb, whereas this is a total of 80k tris yet its 18.1mb ? w t h :slight_smile: I guess its corrupt, who knows… I 'll do what I can to reduce size, maybe 7zip, and in the meantime here is this info at least:

This is a free blend I got yrs ago I think from blendswap and I put away having been distracted, thankfully, by a much bigger project that I"ve doing now, hence this file.

I tried to scale one of the objects to match the other, but it wont’ scale, nothing moves when I try (odd I know).

I can’t verify the animations are in place and working as my animation knowledge atm with blender is near nill, but still I can’t ‘see’ the bones, so another oddity.

Btw, I did append the way you noted, via objects dir, still these problems. I’m asking not because I can’t re-download, too easy, I’d like to learn, by understanding what’s missing &/or what’s messed up.

I’ll update soon as I can. > Ok please see attached finally, the reduced in size and fixed scaling , so if you could I’d very appreciate letting me know if this is just missing animation/pose info etc. as I can’t seem to enable animation ( or even SEE any of it In motion ) which is one of the reasons I needed this blend.

TY
Desoto

Attachments

Mystery.blend (6.95 MB)

Your file has several textures embedded -one is 3.3Mb. If this is used on each of the penguins as it looks like it is 6.something Mb is appropriate file size.

If you had a means to peak inside the .blend file first several bytes say which blender version was used to create particular file; you need some universal file viewer being able to show hex values of file content. I’d recommend totalcommanderfor that if you’re on win platform.

File linked here is created using v2.76 so you have edited the original. Since you say original file did not have mesh faces it’s creation time is before n-gon era; blender’s animation data has changed even more since and files as old as before n-gons are not compatible i’m afraid.

You could download needed blender version (which you see in original blend file) and try to export animations to other formats you could import in current blender.

Hope helps.

Ok thx that explains it ;))

cheers