Cloth simulation linked character or asset

Getting cloth simulation to work in a linked asset file.

I have struggled trying to figure out how to get cloth simulation working in a linked character for clothes. I finally figured it out. I thought I’d share it for others struggling with this issue.

Animate your linked character for whatever action you want. The cloth simulation will not be working now. Name your action and save the file.

Now, go back into the source file and append in the action from the file you have in your linked character file. Set your cloth simulation cache to disk and name it and also check the disk cache and use lib path. Set your start and end frames to whatever your action is. Run your simulation and bake the cache simulation once your happy with it. Save your source file.

Now when you go back into your linked character file, it will use that same disk cache in the linked character and your cloth simulation will work. You might have to run the animation Alt-A once to get it to find it.

Gosh Blender is nice!

interesting idea. But what if you have several shots that needs the same character and its cloth simulation?

Also the cloth may have to interact with other things in the master scene, e.g. rocks, ground, objects. Nice solution for scenes where it works. I’ve used Toka’s method roughly with cloth in the past and it does work with cloth. Usually :wink:

Thank you for your suggestion Toka. I now have figure out how to do it. I have followed your instruction on the link and it also works for cloth. SUPER! Thanks again ^___^