Film Reel Simulation

Hello,

I’m attempting to create a film reel spinning and spooling out film:

I’m not entirely sure about how to tackle this project as I’m somewhat new to physic simulation aspect of blender.

Has any here attempted this before?

Thanks in advance!

Making a realistic behaving spooling film tape with physics in blender will be - at least for me - a huge challenge.
I suggest you faking the effekt (by using a keyframed film coil and a curve where the filmband follows).

You could try an array + curve modifier. You can animate the reference curve with shape keys. Look around blenderartists or google if these ideas aren’t familiar to you – there are lots of good tutorials out there. Here’s a .blend to get you started:

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/40245

Thanks for the responses.

I have 2 possible routes to go with this project.

The first, is to have the reel fall from a shelf and roll a bit on the floor while spitting out the film.
The second, is to have the reel spin in frame, while spitting out the film.

I spent some time tinkering with the physics to try to get this going, but haven’t had much luck with a usable setup for either case.

Due to time constraints I’ll have to go with option 2 and hand animate the film spool.

benu
: Thanks very much for the demo scene.
I’ve incorporated what you setup there into my scene and setup the film position and array count to be driven by the reel rotation. Now I just need to animate the curve.

Thanks again!