Skidz Tweak Sketchbook

I been playing with blender going on almost 3 years… and finally feel I am actually becoming pretty proficient in it… so I thought I should start up a scrap book of my own… a place to post all my half done crap and finished stuff :slight_smile:

Here is a table I made of the last couple days… I used some pretty different Technics than I am use to… but really love the way it turned out…

Eventually this is all going to be part of a science lab I am making… But have about 10 or so more pieces to put together before it is finished…

Couple neat notes about it… in SL the face the keyboard sits on actually flips over to hide the keyboard, and the screen is actually plane thin so I am able to flatten it out, and retract it into the desk… I will post some animated gifs of that once its all uploaded…

Its hard to tell, but there is a piece of glass sitting in the center… .and… yeah… I think I went a little over board adding stuff on the right inside of the desk… :slight_smile: I am really happy how all the materials turned out even though it is so reflective…

Will post some more when I get them…

I stayed up way to late last night working on this… always… a little more to do… something I can do better… waiting for the render… OMG… the sun is up… :frowning: Night…

I finished up the tube I posted above finally… Thought I would share some of the pics… I have to admit… I think its the best work I have ever done… and I am really excited about it…

So what is this tube? It’s a Nanobot Incubation chamber… For a game I am making (mad scientist)… Just really started, so no details really to share…

Couple more quick pics of it…

It’s looking really good. Is the chamber game ready?

The pictures are from the High Resolution version of the model… But… I have a lower rez version (Total of 4 levels of detail) of the model… that I will be baking the textures/normal/spec maps to from this model… I have already tried it out and it worked great… but I have not put any major effort into it until I have an entire scene to bake to… mostly because of lighting details and such…

Here are some socks I made for a Second Life Gacha event… pull these things off in 5 days… Not my best work… but they are cute :slight_smile:

All the textures are made in cycles, and are meant to have a cartoonist feel to them…

nice socks! You’we got a gift for design!

Thanks Squared :slight_smile: Really appreciate that…

Thought I would share this since you asked about game ready models… This is a rendering the game ready model… with textures/normal maps/specular maps baked directly from the model you see above (except the glass)… No texture editing has been done yet… but you can see it is needed in some places, but overall the results turned out great… The only issues I really had was I had to separate out the inside of the tube for baking… otherwise it would pic up the textures from the outside… Even the texture baked for the super low LOD turned out really pretty good…

I am also not really happy with the spec maps I baked using Direct Glossy in cycles… still trying to figure out a better way to bake them… does anyone have any suggestion in that front? Direct Gloss seem to just really highlight the areas in the scene effected by the lights… and what I am looking for is just a gray scale image of which areas do reflect light…

And while I am posting I figured I might as well share the other model I have been working on :slight_smile:

Its a Nanobot deconstructor… The top lid flips up… allowing the arm on the inside to extend by rotating out… after nanobots are loaded it closes back up and spins around really quick… the keyboard you can see tucked away on the right also extends out and can be tucked in even further along the side… Really enjoying making this stuff :smiley:

I did notice that my glass material was not allowing the light to pass through it… so… I changed the glass material to a transparent with a little reflection only… no real glass node is used… letting the light shine through it… The glass doesn’t look as good now… but… the lights on the inside make up for it :smiley:

Good work on the game ready “thingy”… Maybe you could take the diffuse map and make it gray-scale and then invert the colours if needed and voila! you have a not so precise spec map, but could be good enough…
The nanobot deconstructor looks very good. Keep it up…

Good idea… at least gives me a place to start…

Been working on making sets of reusable objects since I recently purchased the Asset Manager plugin… One item that almost any scene looks better with… is wires. So I started building out some reusable wires… But, I actually tore these apart already and staring to work on more module design, allowing me to match up several parts together, but I was so happy with the first set of wires I thought I would share what I did…

I also built out a scene trying to use the the wire bundle as much as possible, just to get a good feel for how it was working, and to see if there was anything I could improve… Which is what made me go back and start redesigning it in the first place again… :slight_smile:

First time I have really placed with compositor… Really brings renderings to life…

Still been working on building basic reusable wire components, and I have learned so much about… everything blender…

Just finished this component up today: Wire with adjustable bulge, and yes I know i freakin misspelled bulge in the picture… but I am not going to redo the whole thing because of that… its late and I am tired :smiley:

Some of the things I really like it about it is that, the budge actually cuts out part of the wire dynamically, lowering the verts. And look at the number of verts it has when it is strait, and how extra are added dynamically to the wire when it bends… Yeah… its the little things that get me excited :slight_smile:

No scripting, just a lot of ingenuity :smiley:

This is what I meant by it adds more verts… Its hard to tell in the last one

Draw all edges is enabled

Now you got me interested again… :slight_smile: How did you make this component wire thingy?
Edit: I got it! with the asset manager thingy… it seems that’s a very useful addon…

Actually, while the asset manager is a awesome addon, this was all 100% blender… No plugins help me make it. Its really just armatures, curves and right combination of modifiers and constraints…

well that’s admiring! well done. :slight_smile: