Space ship

Hey everyone,

I am moddeling a spaceship, and I am quite happy with it right now, although there are some points I’d like some feedback of, before I start texturing. It’s a one person fight spaceship, and I kept the surface somewhat smooth, instead of adding small details.

Firstly I’d like your opinions on the front of the aircraft. I think it might be to simple, but when I tried adding things to it, this did not work out. I tried a grill, al well as I added holes for air-intake, but these looked more like nostrils and made the whole plane look like a gigantic nose. So does anyone have any suggestions for this? Or think nothing should be changed at all.

Moreover I wondered if I need to add more details to it. I never know what kind of details to add, and I do like this smooth style. I am however affraid that it will get to simple, or boring if I do not add any details. Does anyone agree, should I add the details while texturing or can I leave them all

If you have anything else to comment please do so.

Also here is the .blend file.

space ship.blend (737 KB)

The bubble will be transparent

Attachments

Overall it looks good, and the smooth style works reasonably well. Although I see for some of the smaller details such as in the cockpit you have made an exception, but they do not detract from the look at mid distances.

Perhaps in the long extended front of the aircraft, rather than adding individual details, you could change the cross-section from its current approximately oval shape and add interest that way. For example a thin ridge along the top leading up to the cockpit. And flares or bulbous extrusions on the side, about 20% the size of the cross-section itself. With flatter areas on the underside to provide more lift when the ship is in an atmosphere.

And yes, many smaller details can be added while texturing. Will be interesting to see the final version.

Hi Nanobug,

Thanks for your reply.
I like the idea of changing the front as a whole.
Also I got some other feedback on this work which said that I should use the subsurf mod less, so now I’m moddeling a harder surface.
I’ll post it when it’s doen :slight_smile:

I like the general idea and shape. I agree that it wouldn’t hurt to use less subsurf. There is no harm in dividing your model into separate meshes either, since it is unlikely a spaceship would be made as a single block, but rather many smaller pieces joined together. You can add normal maps of panels and dents and things when texturing, so no need to worry about that level of detail as you said!

Keep it up!

Hi,

So I’ve been redoing my spaceship for a while now, using less sub-surf and more hard surface modeling, and I was well on my way, also the engines turned out to be so much betterthen before

Nevertheless I got stuck while modeling the body of the plane. I feel quite limited while moddeling since adding detail to one part, for example adding loopcuts, will result in loopcuts all over the mesh creating sharp edges on places you don’t want them.

For example the two pictures below. By making the edges sharper and adding geometry other sharp egdes appear on my aircraft.
What can I do to prevent this? You mentioned separting the body in several parts, but how can I connect these parts in such a way that the difference in geometry does not result in visible errors and it has a smooth transition?

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Attachments