Video copyright.

Hi everyone,

I’m using Blender’s VSE and I don’t see anywhere in the interface where I can insert a copyright notice or any other form of protection for the content of the Video. I assume this would go in the metadata.

Am I missing something?

TC

Blender does not allow you to insert metadata flags in the output files. And honestly if someone wants to rip your media they will. The accepted solution is to create a watermark or burn-in over your footage.

To do this you need to create an image with alpha channel (so that most of it is transparent), then place that over your footage (turning on Alpha Over in strip blend type - see strip preferences ).

Then render the output with logo or copyright burned in. Warning, this will take longer to process as there is an effect to calculate for every frame.

Thanks 3pointEdit.

TC

I would simply insert a layer containing a Text object which appears in the first few sections of the movie, then fades out. Then, at the customary position at the end of the film, display your copyright (perhaps on a “credits” panel) such that it remains on the screen at the point where the film ends. (Use the “Circle-C” symbol, specifically, along with the year-of-registration and the owner’s name.)

Metadata can be added to files after the fact, and before distribution they usually are. Video editors other than Blender also provide for metadata inclusion. It is expected that video files, music files, etc. that are intended for public distribution will also contain copyright information within metadata, in addition to visible(!) notice within the content itself.

Then, spend the $35 or so that it costs (in the United States) to formally register your copyright claim (on-line, of course …), before the work is published anywhere. The on-line registration goes into effect without delay. Note that you can register an arbitrarily-large “collection” of things for one $35 fee. The concept of a “collection” is merely an administrative practicality. See http://copyright.gov.

You can’t stop someone from ripping your work, but you can disavow them of any “innocent infringement defense.” You secure the right to issue a “take-down order” that will promptly be complied-with by anyone (including a hosting company) who knows the law. And, of course, if you intend to make commercial use of the material yourself, anyone you might ask to put-up the material is going to demand to see your registration and that the proper notices are included … as evidence that you indeed have title to it; that you actually [assert that you …] own it.

Thanks Sundialsvc4,

I’ve been reading up on the ways to protect my work. I’ve used the copyright process for software in the past but never with regard to video. All and all I have to say it looks pretty grim if you want to make your work available to the public but protect it at the same time. Glad I asked.

I appreciate the input.

TC.

Copyright protection is always “grim.” In the music industry, there are Performing Rights Organizations (PRO’s), like ASCAP and BMI, which exist to make sure that artists get paid for their work. I’m quite sure that equivalent organizations exist for video and film.

But, still, the first step is to “mind your P’s and Q’s” with regard to properly providing notice of copyright, and of registering your work.

Then, consider using a well-known license, such as Creative Commons, and declaring this on the final credits-card of your piece (the last one visible before fade-out, which should include the final © copyright notice as well). While you are under no legal obligation to do this – as the creator and legal owner, you are sovereign – it does provide a clear and legally-comfortable understanding of exactly what uses you consider to be acceptable.

The clearer you are about your license terms, the more likely it is that they will be followed, and the more likely that distributors (including YouTube) will allow the work to be posted and retained. Yes, these sites are professionals. They don’t play games with copyright. It’s good to let them say, “okay, it’s Creative Commons. Got it…” An existing license that they’ve seen and dealt-with before.