Tests and doodles

Hey guys,

this is my thread for tests, doodles and exercises.
All kinds of comments and critiques are welcome.

This is a rough suit concept. Some kind of flying thing in this case. My idea is to make a bunch of these and then develop one of the more promising ones into a finished model with nice materials, lighting etc. This is somewhat based on Kent Trammell’s tutorial on CG cookie.

The other thing I’m did recently is this column top (based on a real one). Lots of organic detail on it so it’s a great modeling exercise and it helps me think of smoother modeling workflow.

Lookin good. :slight_smile:

Thanks, tommywright!

Here is an update on the suits. I kinda ended up going for animal themed suits. Let’s see where this leads. The right one is supposed to be a rat, needs more work to be sure.

I also worked on this Japanese style house for a bigger project I’m working on when I have the time. I was trying to get roof tiles that can be adapted to different roof shapes and also wanted to be able to randomize the rotation of each tile to give a natural/used look. I ended up using particles but if someone has a better idea I’m all ears. I wish the array modifier had some randomization options.

Another “quick” (not as quick as I wanted) doodle to keep things rolling. I was also doing some auto retopo tests with Instant Meshes… it works ok but I’m still figuring out a nice workflow.

I’ve worked on a tile system exactly like that house! It looks great to me. I used arrays and curves. It would be nice if there was such a thing as something like a jitter modifier with settings like rotation of offset that could be used in conjunction with an array modifier.

Thanks for the info distance880!
In what way did you use curves if I may ask?
And by the way, it seems there is something like an array modifier with randomization options:

Seems like a good deal, so I might buy it.

Hmmm here, I made it as a turbosquid project a while back. It’s free so you can download it and check it out!

Did this for the weekly CG challenge (fantasy game asset) but couldn’t finish it in time since I only had time on the weekend and also this was supposed to be a game asset which I am not used to doing, especially not in blender. I want to finish it later though. Working on those scales was fun.

I worked on a rubber material with relatively complex bump pattern as a practice and for use in future projects. I think it’s a good base for further exploration. The match is to add a sense of scale.

Also did the cg cookie tutorial on Planes of the head. Really good practice. I think that tutorial is part of cg cookie’s free stuff now so check it out if interested.

Some skull and face muscle study to help me improve with my character work.

Attachments