Blender 2.49 and Teaching Blender

:cool:Hello.

I wanted to see if using Blender 2.49 would be useful in the Academic areas, like Elementary, Junior High, etc.
Blender 2.49 64 bit does not run on my Windows 10 64 bit machine.
The error, I believe, said some thing about a side to side configuration.

Install this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=2092

Why not to use Blender 2.76b ? o.O

Blender 2.49 is ancient

I started with 2.49. I want to see if it is good idea for kids, etc.

Thanks that fixed it.
I have 2.76b. I like it.
Is it too complicated for a new user?
I guess it depends on who you ask.

Poor kids:(

The current blender version is much more logically laid out than blender 2.49.

I started with 2.49. I want to see if it is good idea for kids, etc.

Just because you started with crap doesn’t mean it’s best for other people to start learning with crap. If they then get interested in blender they will then have to transition to the latest version and 99% of all good online tutorials are not for blender 2.49.
All you’ll be doing with 2.49 would be to instill confusion into anyone you’re trying to teach. Forget about it.

saying 2.49 is crap is like saying 2.76 is crap
-but 2.76 is more refined

There is absolutely no conceivable benfit to using 2.49 over 2.76 and newer.

Not entirely true. In 2.49 you could vertex paint on multires. :wink:

use the latest 2.76
at least there won’t be any transition problems from 2.49 to 2.7 series

there are too many differences which will create confusion
get to the current version for intro

happy bl

Honestly Blender 2.49 is probably the worst possible choice for kids to learn 3D in. The new UI in Blender 2.5+ is much more beginner-friendly.

I have heard at least one person say that the new UI is bad, that it is not productive. I do not know if it is true. I do know that once some thing is learned it is easier to use but not necessarily efficient.

You would be doing a disservice to your students by teaching them an outdated piece of software. Almost anything they learn in 2.49 will not be transferable to current blender, or any other piece of software.

And 1000 others in the background saying that 2.49 was an utter abortion compared to what we have now.

Okay, is Blender 2.76 any more or less complicated than any other software? I am looking to buy updated books. All the past books were for 2.4X.

Inflicting 2.49 on defenceless people is abuse.

Okay I will go the other route :smiley:

In my own experience 2.49 was very difficult to use as it’s interface was cluttered and not logically laid out. The 2.5x redesign was one of the better things to happen to Blender.

2.49 is a pain to use .Now i keep a copy for OLD scripts that i have not ported to the new API

but for TEACHING !!!
– NO F’ING WAY

use the current 2.7

just getting the old version to run on NEW hardware and NEW Operating Systems can be a pain

now if you school is using 10 to 15 year old computers that have XP ( no service pack or sp1) installed , then 2.49 might be all you CAN run on them .