Have you ever been trolled for liking and recommending blender?

On trhe space opera page a guy tried to start a discussion about how people who like 3d ff models can get blender and learn to make their own. A lot of the responses were positive, but sure enough a couple elitist art trolls who apparently think blender is unwworthy of being mentioned in their cinema 4d using presence came out from under their bridges and started dumping on it, The OP tried to be nice about it but these elitists just kept on trolling away about how their 2-4000$ software was just sooo much better and how blender was just sooooo hard to learn waaah waaah.

Finally the poor OP ended up screaming at one of them to stop bothering him. Here’s a link to the fb page, i hope it works.

Have you ever been trolled by someone who thinks blender is ‘unworthy’? Did they ever get to you?

First of all, “I don’t do Facebook. Never have, never will.” :eek:

Second, “what do you care what other people think?” Opinions are like noses: everybody’s got one, and you usually don’t like what comes out of it. The Internet gave a “bully pulpit” to everyone on Planet Earth – but they did not give those people anything of value to say.

You can’t stop those people from talking. But you don’t have to listen, and you certainly don’t have to respond.

Until the Internet came along, most people “passed like ships in the night.” Actually, that wasn’t a bad arrangement . . .

The Good Book was (as usual …) pretty darned wise observer of human nature, when it observed that “it isn’t what goes in (or, that passes by …) a man that causes him grief. It’s what comes out.” Don’t reply to someone, just because they provoked you to. (As the GB also observes, by speaking, such people “have had their reward in full.”)

You take things too seriously.

You know, if every Blender user would start a thread linking to a discussion where someone mentioned a preference for a commercial application over Blender, it would soon overwhelm the general discussion forum with hundreds of threads.

There was an altercation on Facebook and you decided to announce it to everyone, are you sure you’re not a contributor to that in this case?

I’m just curious to see if other blender users get trolled for trying to share info about blender by people who seem to think ‘expensive invariably= better. Free must = bad.’’ Types. I swear most of the anti blender arguments I hear basically go "( My commercial software) is better because it costs more. It costs more because it’s better.’’

I don’t think doing a bad job at convicing someone of a point of view counts as trolling.

Well the thing to go by is that it’s still quite common to associate the value of software with its pricetag (people will infer that a piece of software must be better because it’s more expensive).

There is a grain of truth to that as well, because when you look at the history of software, it was once quite common for free software (or free versions of software) to be at the bottom of the pile as far as functionality goes (and to make it worse, a lot of FOSS software back then was a rung below that even).

It is true that a lot of low-cost software today along with various FOSS solutions are of significantly higher quality compared to where they were a decade ago, but what is now the myth of FOSS in general = crap is going to be around for some time yet.

When I first started using it (around when Big Buck Bunny came out) I got heckled a bit for it. I find it’s mostly taken seriously these days though. Even if it isn’t, it’s really easy to point to examples (or make some) that show off its capabilities, and get people to reel back in a bit.

I think Blender is harder to learn than it could/should be though, so I don’t really see that as trolling so much as valid criticism.

It is sufficient to remind C4D users that their toy application still doesn’t have (in 2016!) a nodal material system, like Carrara :evilgrin:.

only fanatics get stressed over belief of which tools are “best & right” to use… get experienced, master what you choose, then take a step back and silently enjoy the freak show
no FB here either

yes, several times actually.

but tbh,

It really looks like in this case,

the guy reccomending modo didn’t do anything wrong

he didn’t say blender was bad
or anything of that sort.

@JPB

yeah but I wouldn’t throw stones though

Render times in cinema 4d are much much lower than Blender cycles and it’s almost noiseless

And it doesn’t even have gpu render.

I can’t access that page to see what was said(I don’t do social media sites like Facebook or Twitter) but I’ve had top pros telling me at one point that “Maya is shit and nobody uses it.” in an effort to convince me packages such as Max and XSI were far superior simply because it was their preference. Also, I was told no where is using Blender at all…yet the first job in modelling I applied for was to use Blender. And lastly, I was told I was an idiot for believing that Maya and Photoshop would eventually go to a subscription-based model…

Here is a lesson in life: keep your own council as to what is good for you. Its good to ask others their opinions but only as a starting point, the rest comes from doing your homework and your own experiences.

Now here is my opinion: so long as your 3D package meets your requirements, then it comes down mostly to your skill as an artist and knowledge and familiarity with your package. So long as you can produce great work then don’t worry about it.

Never forget that tools are just tools
Art is about making things which make others wonder how did he manage that using those tools.
Take a look at some pixelart, and think about the tools used and how much work it is to make something like that.
At some point so much skilled kraftmanship went into a work, it becomes art
(ok thats a bit jugendstil thinking, but all agree they made art, in contrast to some modern art movements)

You can always buy Arnold for C4D. You will get a nodal material system and a really good render engine.

Life has a simple system. You need to know enough truth to get by.
That’s why partial truths are so common. The problem is when people are unaware of that and substitute the partial knowledge for the whole.

But let’s cite Wittgestein : What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence.

However not everyone is going to sell an idea by telling that:

By my limited knowledge, If you use X there’s a higher chance in certain cases of having a potential to achieve a better result or the same result in less time under the condition that you’ll learn the software enough to be comfortable with the needed workflow.

:slight_smile:

There are those in this world who will “troll you” for any reason … or, for no reason at all. They just like to hear themselves talk, and they like to hear other people talk back. When they see buttons, they push them. Repeatedly.

There are many “significant 3D packages” in this world today, and one of those is … Blender. It’s light-years better than it used to be, and it’s a testimony to the power of cooperative, open-source software development. It’s widely used in education (and, self-education) because it costs nothing. It has repeatedly demonstrated, through open movie projects, musicals, and so-on, that it can do (all or part of …) the job. At this point, “Blender has nothing to prove to the world.” If ever there was a day when you’d draw snickering glances for “using a toy,” those days are long gone.

Is it right for you, and for your (client’s) project? That’s up to you. That’s a decision that you’ll make, no matter which package is deemed to be a contender. It’s a combination of many factors: whether the product will do the job; the degree to which you are familiar with it; technical requirements of file-format, render-size etc.; the requirements and/or the preferences and/or the prejudices of the $paying$ client. This is true categorically, whether Blender is among the candidates or not.

So, when someone “trolls you,” unless you feel like being a troll yourself, just ignore them.

Okay okay

All I see from the facebook post is russ getting mad at a guy for him bringing modo into the discussion.

How does this qualify as trolling?

Blender is a tool,Photoshop, Gimp, Audicity, Maya,Mudbox,Zbrush, Modo, C4D, 3D Max. They are all tools. Yeah they each have their strong and weak points. And I will openly admit that I think many of their weak-spots is the fan-base more so then the software. But you know what. If you can do it in one you can learn to do it in another and at this stage of the game a tool is a tool. There is nothing game breaking that any of them are missing that interferes with their intended function.

As for the fan-bases of these software…Well personally I think many of the most vocal fans are missing some gray matter that was vital for some major intended function or another.

two things:

there are pro’s who actually only know their own app and nothing else but claim to know everything.

there are wannabe pro’s who claim that only commercial apps are pro grade because pro’s use pro apps.

Just ignore them - talking to them is a waste of time