[Windows/Linux] Dynamic Gravity Concept Demo

He guys,

You might have seen in the WIP section that I’ve been working on a game proof of concept. Essentially the concept is for a game where the player can dynamically change his gravity to navigate the stages.

I’ve managed to pull of a nice feeling demo. I’ve release a Windows 64bit executable on itch.io. If you aren’t on windows 64 and you desperately want to give it a try, let me know and I’ll try and export to you OS. I’m otherwise not fussed about making it widely available as it’s just a concept demo.

Download (Windows and Linux now available!)

Ideally, I’ll be creating the actual game in UE4, but I’ll have to see if I can replicate the dynamic gravity there first before I commit to it.

I also used this as a chance to have a go at an artistic/stylised environment. So, all of the environment was texture painted from scratch and then edited in Gimp after. I really wanted to see if I could make something that looks nice even in BGE.

The demo was finished in about 5 days, from scratch to where it is now.

Linux and windows downloads now available!

Looks nice. You may want to add baked lighting to it and than it would look 3 times better.:slight_smile:

I like the intro, it looks really great.

The gameplay hits the same problem I had when I made a similar concept a few years ago. Humans just aren’t designed to experience this kind of motion. I makes me start to feel physically sick after just a short time… it’s a very unpleasant experience.

I’m sure there are some people who don’t get motion sickness from this kind of effect, and I’m sure they would enjoy it a lot, but I’m betting that quite a few people wouldn’t be able to play the game for even a short while.

But there’s a lot of good assets there which you could carry over in to another project.

Yeah I was thinking about it, but as its just a proof of concept, I can’t be bothered too :smiley:

If you feel like it, could you try out the Linux version and let me know if it runs okay? :slight_smile:

I’ve given up on going for photo-realsim/accurate visuals in BGE. I’m trying to go for a more artistic approach to environment design in BGE. I’m thinking to create an environment with no lighting/shading. All lighting and shading to be painted in by hand. This environment is a bit of a hybrid. It has normal materials and lighting, but I painted the shading/AO etc. So next stop is fully painted environment :smiley:

@smoking_mirror:
I think you feel sick when playing games quite a bit. Maybe, just maybe, never try Descent
@cypher
In games, things need to have visible causes. Pressing Q and E to rotate the world/change gravity has no visible cause, so your brain assumes the cylindrical world is rotating rather than you changing gravity. You need things other than yourself that are affected by gravity, and maybe the gravity be local rather than global. My brain insists that Q and E rotate the world.
Maybe make the dust more obvious. I didn’t even notice it to start with. Drifting smoke or other mist-details that stays oriented with the world could also help.
Also, what is with jump? It teleports me to the roof!

The linux version doesn’t work, it’s missing one of the libraries (libGLU.so). You can fix it in the way described here. To play it I extracted the blend and, well, just played it.

try tremulous, pilot a dretch,

get good, then you understand 3d motion, they run along the walls, but of you jump normal physics takes over.

Sorry guys, I totally missed all your replies!!

@smoking_mirror - Oh that’s awkward. I guess part of the fun of this type of game though, is that it’s disorientating.

@sdfgeoff Yeah I was thinking that too. That’s why I added the smoke, dust and drips to try and help with it. I’ll probably have to really exaggerate it. I was thinking running water would work really well.

@BPR - Thanks for the heads up, I’ll give it a look!

@smoking_mirror, glad to hear you liked the intro, I was pretty pleased with that! :slight_smile:

Do you think it would help if there were smaller rooms, that required smaller amounts of rotation to proceed at a time?

I would love to hear more feedback as I’m struggling a bit for inspiration at the moment!

Check out my games page on itch:

http://cypher2012.itch.io/