[BGMC 19]: Lone Photon

This is my first BGE game \o/

I haven’t quite finished it yet, but I intend to get it ready in time for the deadline.
Since this will be my first thread here on blender artists (I look forward to meeting you all :)), I’m posting early in case this needs to go through a review before showing up.

Download: https://github.com/gandalf3/lone-photon
Video: [video]https://youtu.be/Cj9Wp-PHbCw[/video]

1 Like

Wow this looks awesome, seeing the Video! Going to check it out when I get the time :open_mouth:

Looks amazing, I will try it out some time- currently I am posting my own.

I really enjoyed this game. It was hard to get used to, but a lot of fun. Very professional quality.

Very great idea!

Smooth like buttery silk.

Awesome Game! Great mechanic, and nice atmosphere and sounds! Please continue this project, that game is amazing, make more levels.
Reminds me of “Super Hot” with a side scroller touch :smiley:

Just some feeback on the code (I haven’t played it yet, but had a brief look at the code):

def velocity2speed(velocity):
    """
    Turns a vector into a scalar. Is never negative.
    """
    speed = 0
    for i in velocity:
        speed += abs(i)
    return speed

Vectormath:

def velocity2speed(velocity):
    return velocity.length

It’s slightly different as this allows for angular speed

Similarly for distance:

def distance(point1, point2):
    return (point1 - point2).length

You probably shouldn’t name a variable ‘dict’ as then trying ot make a dictionary by running dict() will fail. (dict is a builtin function)

Finally you have a dependancy on numpy, which some people may not have.

Unfortunately I don’t have a dev build yet. We’ll see what proper feedback I can give when I’ve downloaded it…

Yes I am strange in that I am giving feedback on code, but, well, sorry.

Made a little Let´s Play.
Hope you enjoy it and find it helpful.

1 Like

I’ve really enjoy this game. Fantastic work!

No one else having this problem? Not downloading another version of Blender to play one game.

I had the same. I downloaded the new version. The game was fun so I voted, but this was kinda obstacle.

You cant export a exe for linux so this is the best way for all to see the game,

Side note* this is a example of what is needed to break the bge out of stagnation,
Any features added by the user should be accessable to the community.

(engine side modifications)

I wish I had the time and patience to learn C++.

edit: he could build his own stand alone BlenderPlayer? ***

The game is cool, just need some power ups to pick. :slight_smile: Something like a speed up or a shoot bullet, a random pick up.

super cool!! i felt like a character from matrix or something dodging all those shots. :)))))))))))))))))

Ah, thanks for the code review :slight_smile:
I must say I was secretly hoping no one would look at it too closely at the code until I refactored it a lot…
But this was helpful, especially for showing me the benefits of a second pair of eyes.

Finally you have a dependancy on numpy, which some people may not have.

I thought it was packaged with blender now?
I barely use it though, so I’m likely better off removing the one or two places I use it.

Yes I am strange in that I am giving feedback on code, but, well, sorry.

No need for an apology! I appreciate the feedback.
I sort of learned on the fly… and now a lot of the stuff I wrote at first looks horrible even to me :wink:

EDIT: This was a duplicate post, sorry. To conserve space I’ve recycled it into a response to @BlenderRenderSky

Thanks for playing and making a letsplay, very helpful. Glad you liked it!

I guess I made the arrows in the first few levels a bit too integrated with the background :stuck_out_tongue:

@RandomPickle97

Yes, that’s because I used some features added to the BGE since 2.76 was released.
I’ll see if I can make packages bundled with the appropriate blenderplayer version for each platform.

HOLY, looks fantastic & enjoyable

In fact it not only looks like it, but it really is for real!!!

Hey Gandalf3, I loved your game a lot. I was thinking about it the other day and decided to muck about in Unreal engine 4 with your concept. 3D though instead of top down.