[BGMC19] Starlight

If it weren’t for those extra few days, this would be far behind! But now I can offer a finished product. Things could definitely be improved (especially by adding sound), but I’m pretty happy with it.

Download: BGMC19 Starlight 15-12-30.zip (2.96 MB)

Screenshots:

[SUP]The start screen[/SUP]

[SUP]The close-up of a planet[/SUP]

I the aim of the game is to light up the dark side of the selected planet. I realized that forgot to actually say that in the game, but there you go. I didn’t have any feedback on the last thread, so I’d appreciate feedback of the finished thing (both good and bad things). Just don’t look at the code…

P.S. Hopefully this post comes up in time - the last few (of mine) have taken a day or two before appearing.

Made a little Let´s Play.
Hope you enjoy it and find it helpful.

Thanks for the play-through, it was very helpful for seeing what kinds of things were obvious and which things weren’t. Especially the aim of the game! I guess part of it was that I didn’t have any feedback during the time, but I won’t blame anyone because I didn’t post much.

I’m glad you had a good reaction to moving the planets. It took a week of the time to get the blue rings to be in the right place!

Things that weren’t done well:

• The light percentage. This is done based on how much of the dark side was lit up, but it would be more obvious if it was the total lit up (at 50% most of the time)
  • The points. I’d always intended to have it, but the implementation was a last-minute job. I wanted the points to be somehow related to the time, which is why the score went down, but I can see that being demotivating.
  • The view button icons. They were supposed to represent the characters ‘<’ and ‘>’, or on the keyboards ‘,’ and ‘.’ , which toggle between views. Or even better have mouse support.

Things I would add next time:

• Some sort of briefing to say the aim, and maybe some advice on the mechanics (for this particular game). It would have made the difference between gas planets and normal planets more obvious as well
  • A difficulty setting. I considered this, but didn’t have time to implement it

Why do the ignited planets get destroyed immediately? I thought they’d burn for a while.

I enjoyed this game a lot. Very unique concept!

A couple of times I accidentally pressed “n” when I meant “m”, resulting some unintentional restarts… But for what it’s worth, you have my vote :slight_smile: