Blender named in article about opensource video editors.

On the register an article about video editing :

Well a few opensource video editors (for linux), and of them mentioned was Blender.

:slight_smile:

Article by an idiot if it calls Blender as a video editor.

@Alma
Blender can be what ever you want to be…

as long as it doesn’t fall along the lines of image manipulation or digital painting.

Unfortunately Blender as a video editor doesn’t even get close to 3rd line paid video editor. So calling it to a ‘full-featured’ video editor could mean 2 things:

• Dude who wrote is an idiot
  • Dude never used any video editor, but wrote an article about them, what leads to the conclusion: that dude is an idiot :slight_smile:

I’ve done some 2d image manipulation work with blender. Although I would not call that an ergonomic process.

So what you are saying is software that can edit videos is not video editing software… makes sense

If it’s about open source, then Blender probably has the most decent one. I’ve looked for a simple trimmer, joiner, nothing else, and the ones I’ve found are not clear cut. Well, I’m new to the video editing workflow, regardless of the app used. But I managed to do it in Blender. I was able to cut portions of the clip, even able to do things like desaturate, brighten, adjust contrast, etc. The downside is it renders very slow. It’s not utilizing Cuda.

Well, then Windows comes with a full-featured image editor called MS Paint and a full-featured word processor called notepad… :wink:

I prefer Kdenlive out of that bunch by a significant margin. The only video editing I ever do is simple stuff that Blender is capable of. However, in the time it would take me to get comfortable editing video in Blender, I would already be done using something else. So I use something else.

But this wasn´t a comparison of paid video editors, now was it?

So then only the application with the most features is full featured? Where do you draw the line? Sure, the language was hyperbole, but it seems you´re moving the goal post to not have to admit that you´re being overly anal.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Linux still has the problem with having that amount of apps we have on Win or OSX.
I know, Unity/UE are developing their Linux versions (maybe in beta stage for now), but NLE apps… I don’t know if any exists for pro side except of LightWorks (which is a different approach again, compared to ‘standard’ Win/OSX NLE apps).

Also there are different approaches to call an app ‘full-featured’. ‘Consumer’ 1st and 2nd class video editors could be noted more as ‘full-featured’. than VSE. The border is not so solid of course. Premiere, Vegas vs Premiere Elements/Movie Studio (just for mentioning the most known ones for Win, but there are others like Magix/Pinnacle/CyberLink/Corel, HitFilm, etc. stuff).

None of them is perfect, of course. But it does not affect the fact that there is a huge difference between VSE and the others.

I think Blender could be noted as a full-featured 3d modeling/rendering app, even sculpting app, but not as a full-featured NLE or game engine and I think it helps a lot to define how I mean ‘full-featured’.

You are right about ‘overreacting’ on the expression ‘full-featured’. It is my bad; I simple read too many times ‘overrated’ opinions about stuff.

Hmm. So, other than being faster to work with, what can those professional editors do that Blender can’t (in terms of final output)?

Being faster - offering better workflow, GUI, presets, etc.) isn’t enough?:wink:
Related to final output: that is right. But we measure tools with comparing actual ‘standards’.
To say it differently: Blender 2.7.x delivers the same model like Blender 2.5x did. But we are quite happy with the enhancements as those make our workflow more efficient.

I rest my case, your honor. :wink:

In a way, sure.:slight_smile:

On the contrary Blender is neat video editor,
With the right hardware (SSD+fast CPU) i can do canon movie editing in their original format.
And it doesnt crash (unlike some expensive software i used to use for this).

Right Blender is not a video editor rich of tools and effects. But if you need filters that depends a lot of your workflow.
Since my workflow most of the time includes virtualdub (as it has the best free deshaker addon, good control over color and noice etc), i dont depend on that functionality in Blender. Blender I use for managing clips, adding text, or photo animations, or adding some other cool effects. Mainly blender to me a rich clip editor, which never crashes, no matter how big the video task is (i create video files of over 50 GB), so something that doesn’t crash halfway is hugely important to me. (yes Blender is that stable these days).
Main good points

• many movie strokes support
  • rich animation system, all things you can do with a photo or text and can inlcude in your movie endless.
  • understands cannon mov format, without a problem, and can recode to other formats.
  • doesnt crash on huge video files, various other editors are not stable (i will not name them, think thats against board rules here).
  • image strip support (timelaps photography)
  • in relation to animation, you can build a camera path, as to combine CG within an outdoor video,
    or use it for deshake (but virtualdub deshake is better)
  • green screen support
    …

@Razorblade you mentioned green screen, animation and camera path. I have always used the compositor to handle green screen, the camera solver for camera path, and rendered animation to image files.

Then of course I use those files in the VSE.

My question is: Am I missing something and I could perform these functions directly in the VSE?

No your not missing something, i don’t see VSE as a separate product but rather as a part of Blender.
And Blender is strong because of its full package. You can have a large project and do all these things all within blender. (where otherwise you endup often with many packages). As for still images, you can render them and you can import them (image strip), for rendering i prefer rendering to images as well. Because if something unforeseen happens (disk full/hotfix update) you can continue on where the process halted.

Just thinking it should be possible to combine blender directly with virtualdub/or/avisynth in frameserver mode hm maybe nice for a next prj. Or…use blender itself as a frame server to feed virtualdub…

At least technically it works, import the video, cut-edit, export.

I am not saying that Blender is better than Final Cut Pro, but neither I discard the fact that it works.
To prove my point, Blender Institute has created lots of movies with it and that means something.
http://archive.blender.org/features-gallery/movies/

However this is the same good and old thread about workflow and UI design of Blender.
Because Blender is has a unique design it discards lots of “common” rules, makes lots
and lots of people uncomfortable. It’s only a matter of years of experience and getting
used to a specific thing over and over again.