I cant make dvds

I have mov Quicktime videos from Davinci Resolv. I tried to render AVI and I get 2 things, 'error unsupported format" or a video that does not play well.
From .mov I have converted the video in VLC media player and Shotcut. I get corrupted video that plays poorly.
The quick time videos play well and look great. I just cant get them converted well.
I have been at something I thought was simple and quick for days.
Im rendering now a test from Blender AVI raw.

What are you trying to do ? Save a video to a dvd or burn a dvd to play on a std dvd player. For the latter your dvd burning software should be able to burn a compatible dvd. It needs to be mpg at the correct resolution (depends whether PAL or NTSC)

Im rendering now a test from Blender AVI raw.
Waste of time. This is an uncompressed format that does not support audio.

If you just want to burn a video file to a dvd then just use the dvd burning software set to something like data.

For specifics i suggest you do a quick google search

I want to burn it to dvd file to play on TV
Every software i have does not see quicktime.
this is all the options i have In Davinci

Every software i use to convert from quicktime messes up. Windows dvd maker sees AVI files so i try to convert to that.
I have been searching for dvd burners for days. i do not want to pay so much to use it one time.

What you will need:
To get started, you’ll need the following:

•          A CD or DVD burner (also called a CD or DVD recorder drive).
           Nearly all recent computers include a CD  burner for burning audio and data CDs. Some computers include a  combination CD/DVD burner for burning audio CDs, data CDs, and data  DVDs.
           If you don't know what kind of burner you have, check the information that came with your computer.

•          A blank CD or DVD.
           The type of blank disc you need depends on what kind of burner you have and what kind of disc you're trying to make.
                          For audio CDs: A  good choice is the CD-R format because it's relatively inexpensive and  is compatible with the widest range of playback devices.
                          For data CDs:  CD-R is sufficient for most people's needs. However, if you want the  ability to erase the disc later and add new files to it, choose CD-RW.  Just remember that CD-RW discs are typically more expensive than CD-R  discs,  and not all CD players can play CD-RW discs.
                          For data DVDs:  Choose DVD-R or DVD+R if you're adding files to the disc only once.  Choose DVD-RW or DVD+RW if you want the ability to erase the disc later  and add new files to it. Note that some DVD burners support all of these  disc types and some only support certain ones. For more information,  check the information that came with your computer.

i use Kdenlive with avmutex or DVD-styler ( also uses avmutex ) on OpenSUSE and RedHat

these will convert media to the needed vob files to burn to a disk
DVD-styler can also make dvd menus for each scene

You could render to an image sequence, and then use something like Natron to encode to a dvd compatible video, which your burning software should then be able to use.

Thanks. i have always had troubles with rendering. I really like the footage from Davinci . Other software gives me hick-ups, skips, windows errors and more. I use presets mostly. I think I want to go as straight from .mov to DVD as possible. I might break down and get a burner but I spent too much money already.
I cant install Linux just now. Natron looks good.

Im done, Ive had it, no more of this, Ill do something else today!
I think it is just the .mov file.

This is my life story. Ill get new DVD disks today and hope that’s the problem. Then Im done

Maybe this http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/download.html

“TMPGEnc has a Quicktime plug in which works” they say on doom9.org

I think freemake will do it.

I tried ConverterLight it installed Chromium on my computer without asking. It burned the DVD ( Christmas School pageant to be played on a home TV NTSC). But it has bad spots ( screen jumping some) that are not on the original .mov QuickTime file.
What is this in Freemake?

AVG removes the threat and the installer still works. Im just hesitant now to use it.
I really do not understand what TMPGEnc is.

If you’re on Windows why not just use Windows DVD Maker which is most likely already installed on your computer (depends which windows version)

Windows DVD maker does not see the .mov

If I convert the .mov I get poor quality. If i burn the .mov i get poor quality.

Try changing to a different format (such as mpg, wmv)
Try Movie maker to convert it or blender or any other video editing package

From your first post it seems the source application gives a really crappy video format. Try something else that gives decent results.

Ill try that in Blender. Is mpg not the same as mpeg?
Edit found my answer. here it is
Key difference: MPEG stands for the Moving Picture Experts Group. One of the most commonly used MPEG formats is the .mpg or .mpeg. .mpg is one of a number of file extensions for MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 audio and video compression. The two formats are most commonly used for compressed video content with sound. They are commonly accepted on various platforms.

weird, I don’t think I got any Trojans with my version, but that’s definitely one. I will double check to make sure it’s not on my computer.
(edit) nope, I’m good. sorry I did not know about that virus being in there.

Thats no problem I tried it anyway.
I get the same problem with both converters so I can assume it is not the converters even tough it plays fine on my computer before it is converted and burned to DVD.

If I convert the .mov I get poor quality. If i burn the .mov i get poor quality.

To make a DVD video (Not data DVD) the format should be audio MP2, or AC3, video MPEG 2. 720 x 480 (NTSC). or it’s PAL equivalent. Bitrate max 10.08 Mbps I think, google it to be sure. DVD’s won’t support anything bigger. You need bluray for that.

Whenever you convert video you will lose quality.

I’ve burned a lot of DVD’s from camcorders, both digital and analog, for home video, or trading. And some youtube videos. Concerts mostly, or video tutorials. And one cartoon I made with Blender.

Get a good video to start with, remember, garbage in garbage out.

On a Mac, I used Mpeg streamclip (free) to convert the FLV, MP4, etc to DV format. Seem to get the better quality that way. I try not to resize the video. Instead, I set black borders. Then used iDVD to convert and author the DVD. Toast to burn.

On Windows, I used WinX HD Video converter to convert to mpeg 2. Change the size to 720 x 480. Then I demux (separate audio from video) using Pvastrumento. Then use DVDauthorgui or Muxman to mux to a VideoTS. No loss in quality (you can set chapters using Mpeg2schnitt, export a KAP. file that will import to muxman) Burn with Imgburn. (these days Imgburn comes with “open candy” a PUP :frowning: So beware)

Or, I use DVDstyler to convert the video and author a DVD. At a much less succsess rate. But really nice menus.

For Video from the TV. I use a standalone DVD burner wired between the TV and Dish DVR. Record and burn a show or concert to DVD-RW, at the highest quality, finalize, then rip the DVD to the PC. (copy and paste the .VOB files to PC) I use PVAstrumento to merge and demux the .VOB, Meg2schnitt to cut out the commercials, (No loss in quality) and set chapters. Then DVDauthorgui or Muxman to make the video TS.
Burn back to DVD 5 or DVD 9. Erase DVD-RW for next video. Some of these DVD’s look better than the Bluray I get from Netflix.

It’s been a while since I burned any DVD’s except for “Walking Dead”. It’s a little tougher on Win 8, (I prefer XP)

Check out Videohelp.com for some of these free windows programs. And how to install them.

DVD’s won’t support anything bigger then 720 x 840? I did not know.