Can't loop cut

See attached file. I’m trying to do a loop cut along the Y axis in the faces aligned where the cursor is but I can’t get the loop cut to activate in the big face which has the off-centered face indicator dot. The face to the left won’t do it either for the same reason, I’m sure. Maybe I’ve forgotten something about edge loops like they can only go through four sided things and I’ve created five sided things out of the two because an edge bisects their right side edges? Yes? No? Maybe?

Attachments

01_walls_MS_troubleshoot.blend (5.56 MB)

The face cannot have a loop because it has more than 4 vertices

You also have faces inside your mesh which is also a bad thing to do. Garbage belongs in a bin, delete this and start again properly

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ve not seen anyone mention tidying up as such but it makes sense.

Garbage belongs in a bin, delete this and start again properly

Whoa! That’s pretty harsh Richard!

Zenptiness: It’s true you should probably rethink how you are modeling the walls, but, if you ever need to cut across geometry that won’t loop, the knife is your friend. Press k to activate it and then left click your lines, pressing enter to confirm your cuts. You can read more about the knife in the user manual: that was the most helpful resource for me.

Keep it up! Live and learn!

Whoa! That’s pretty harsh Richard!
Never be afraid to just delete what you have and start again. In most cases you will get a better result and can take less time than trying to find and fix all your poor modelling mistakes so you know what you did wrong and learn from your experience

If something took you 10 hrs to make and it was crap and you delete it, so what ? That’s 10 hrs of instruction on how not to do something.

Moderation: The discussion regarding the merits (or lack thereof) of harsh critque has been moved to this thread. Please continue that discussion there.