Vertices go one direction, in two window views, but opposite paths

Hi,

What could be causing a problem where in one view vertices move one way, and then in another window they are opposite of the other. Is this a a ctrl + A problem?

I did a location. :confused:

Sounds to me like you’re looking at the vertices from opposite sides.

What would of caused that?

Attachments

I don’t see the problem with your screenshot – the vertices are in the correct position on the XZ plane (the Front view) but not on the Y axis (the Side view). You have two of three axis correct; now use the side view to get the third axis in the right spot.

If you’re referring to the fact that your vertex is shifted back on the Y axis a bit, I don’t know how it got there, but it’s easy to put back in the right spot!

I wouldn’t know anything about this.

What do I need to do to get the side view to show the vertice moving right, and not left as it is displayed there. I had thought that i just needed to rotate the mesh, but then you know it happens again just with the opposite in the views.

Hm. And why don’t you just move the vertices to the right?
Sorry, but I’m still struggling to understand what your problem is. Just move the highlighted vertices in the direction of the green arrow protruding from them (in the side view).

What might confuse you is the that the side views are seemingly reversed: Left view is a view “from the left” and therefore actually showing the right side of the model and vice versa. Therefore your (right looking) reference image actually should have been mapped to the left view, not the right.

I read the beginning chapter in the Blender Book for Dummies, it mentions using the forward slash on the keypad as viewing a left side view. That just goes back to Right Ortho.

It is werid, this problem.

Attachments

You’re referring to Blender for Dummies by Jason van Gumster? I haven’t seen the book, but I very much doubt that he would write such a thing, you must’ve misread something.

Regardless, if you could just click those View menus in your 3D viewports, all the existing view options would be presented to you, together with their hotkeys, including the forward slash. Be creative in everything, including learning. It helps a great deal.

Hmm, well by pressing Ctrl and 1, it goes to the back, but the point is now, it all aligns correctly. Should i use this as it is?

I didn’t mean the author of that book had stated a confusing sentence about window views, just that the forward slash was expressed as being able to switch to the left side, though it doesn’t do that via the keypad.

I’m quite a critic of the book, it needs improvement, certainly wider resolution images, and in colour for a start. It is a beginners book, so it won’t contain advance topics such as face model making or long hair creation as examples.

It is a general handy informative guide, but nothing that exciting for a beginner. I’m sure the texture chapter will be much more helpful for me in the future for trying to create may be a texture seen in some animation films, you know the commercial stuff that has aired in cinema many years back.

Attachments

I’d suggest keeping front view as front view. As has been explained above by IkariShinji, you’re treating the views wrong. Either flip the side reference image, or use the Left view (ctrl + 3) as the side view, and it’ll all click into place.

Exactly. modelinblender, it seems you’re still a bit confused about the different views… Perhaps it helps if you add “from the…” to each of the views.

So:
top view = view “from the top” = shows the top side of the model
bottom view = view “from the bottom” = shows the bottom side of the model
front view = view “from the front” = shows the front side of the model
back view = view “from the back” = shows the back side of the model

So far, so good. But:
left view = view “from the left” = shows the right side of the model
right view = view “from the right” = shows the left side of the model

On your side reference image the head is facing to the right:

So, this image is showing the right side of the head. As a consequence you should have either
a) used this as a backdrop for the left view (Ctrl+numpad-3), or
b) mirrored the image horizontally before using it in the right view.

Or to say it with Suzanne:

If you don’t mind me asking, which edition of Blender For Dummies are you reading? And which page has this statement regarding Numpad-slash? Numpad-slash is for enabling Local View, not a particular side view. So if it says otherwise in the book, please let me know so I can correct it.

As for the specific issue that you’re running into, Stan Pancakes and IkariShinji have done a good job of explaining it (what they’re talking about is also covered in the book, too). And since you’re using the Mirror modifier, there’s an additional consideration you may want to account for. I noticed that you’ve enabled the Adjust Edit Cage to Modifier Result button on your modifier. This is a convenient way to allow you to select vertices on either side of the mirrored axis. However, you still need to remember which side of your mesh is the original and which side is being mirrored. When you grab a vertex and move it, it will always move as if you selected the vertex on the original mesh (even if you selected the mirrored vertex). This can be confusing to some new users because they’ll move their mouse left, but see their selected vertex move to the right. If this is a problem for you, I’d recommend disabling the Adjust Edit Cage to Modifier Result button.

Hi

“I read the beginning chapter in the Blender Book for Dummies, it mentions using the forward slash on the keypad as viewing a left side view. That just goes back to Right Ortho.”

You use Numberpad 9 to change from top to buttom and left to right view.

Tai

Yes the changing of the right to left with Ctrl + 3 has worked.

As for the book, um, the third edition, copyright this year.

Which page?

At the time when I did read the page of where it displays the keys, there is a Ctrl + 3 mention, which refers to the Numberpad key. So I was incorrect about that. As I had stated it was a forward slash.

I imagine there is another book which does contain much more information on detailed 3D projects. But ultimately the DVDs are really the ticket for that type of tasks. There is a very old one on the Youtube site, unless that happens to be it.

If you’re looking for video training, there are a bunch of great resources online:

https://cloud.blender.org

Both of these have multiple instructors, and offer subscription-based content (you can get content for a month for about the price of a book).

Then there are blogs / individual websites that have great training and insight. Look through blender.org for a bunch of Useful Links.

YouTube is a great resource as well, though not all the videos you’ll find there are worth your while. You’ll have look through with a discerning eye…

The book I bought as I am a beginner and since Blender is free, it is a nice general info guide.

My 3D tasks are small, and just an interest on the surface, not really anything for financial gain, full on pro outlook. I just try, and see what the result ends up, I have used the Johnathan Williams clip from 2010, Blenderella may be that is also from 2010 due to the interfaces are quite dated, and may eventually require Mr Lie’s clip, on creating teeth for example.

I was watching a little of Shrek 2 today, a few hours back. I was thinking as with the first film, shrek’s head had many faces, all lined up straight, that was for the nose especially from what I can remember from a behind the scenes clip via youtube, I gave a watch last year.

That would be a challenge since it is roundish.