Caminandes 3 - Trailer

Yesterday we released the trailer for a new episode of the Caminandes cartoon series, just in time for the holidays with a special Xmas touch!

In this episode it’s winter in Patagonia. Koro the llama meets with Oti the pesky baby penguin, both going after that last tasty berry. To be released on January 27th, 2016.

This episode was independently produced by Blender Institute, made possible thanks to the subscribers on Blender Cloud. Special thanks goes to the impressive music by Torin Borrowdale, the SFX by Sander Houtman and the render power of RenderStreet.

All of the blend files that made the trailer are available on Blender Cloud. Each scene in the trailer has it’s own .zip file that is the exact same we sent to render. There’s also the full SVN export at the time of publishing the trailer. Find them at cloud.blender.org/caminandes

This time we’re sharing much more and more often! Every Monday we post a video on the Caminandes YouTube channel about the progress done the previous week. Also, we talk about it on the Blender Institute Podcast, posted usually on Thursdays.

That’s it for now, back to work!

Looks amazing, great animation, great render! So far best looking cominandes.

Only thing I noticed - missing hair collision with ice, where it’s soo clearly visible the hair on the neck goes through the ice.

It would also be great to have somewhere a sum of things developed during the project, I am missing this during this open movie - the weeklies don’t really show coders work.

Instantly makes me look forward to the short. Animations, environments and characters look top notch.

Thanks a lot! Glad you liked it.

Yeah those are the little details that make movies look so polished, and show the amount of people/time spent on it. Unfortunately we can’t afford having that level of detail on every shot, but we’re doing our best! Andy simulated hair collisions for the second shot, because it was very close to the camera. We still have 3/4 of the movie to finish so we’re trying to optimize where to invest time.

It’s mostly optimizations and little tweaks here and there for the moment (this is a mini-open movie after all). I’ll write a blogpost with the development done so far (‘Use AO’ per RenderLayer, ‘Delete’ library option in Outliner, 40% speedup on OpenGL renders, plenty of optimizations done on SSS shaders, and a few more). Our main developer (Sergey) is graduating these days so he can’t be 100% with us, but early January he’s coming back so we’ll see even more stuff! My hopes are mainly faster motion blur fur and viewport fur, although both are pretty big projects for such a small open-movie.

Man, great work, ive tweeted it, facebooked it, posted it on my website www.estudiopintamonos.cl/blog truly fantastic work, you guys are making great alrounded movies that are fantasticly animated, super well rendered and are very entertaining all together, which is attracting more and more artist each day, you guys are changing the world of animation by making good movies :slight_smile:

It looks awesome! As I said on the youtube channel, this would have attracted much more attention (and funding) than Cosmos Laundromat, imagine a full 30 min episode with 3 or 4 short stories, something like Looney Tunes, Animaniacs or Tiny Toons :stuck_out_tongue:

I liked Cosmos Laundromat very, very much, but it caused more controversy than needed for the project, while this has a much more broad appeal, and is so freaking well done!

Congratulations on the effort, I agree with Looch, with this movies you’re really showing what Blender is capable of right now.

By the way, where do I have to sign to participate in the next one? :smiley:

Yes yes! this is the style of animation that the blender foundation needs!!!

good job!

auahuhauhahua, supercool project here xD

Looks really, really great, both animation and imagery.

Can’t wait for the big clash, Lama vs Kid Penguin, just epic…

looks great guys! Really I have nothing to say if not that I cannot wait for the final animation!! :slight_smile:

looks great, I might have missed something, when does the pitching happen for these shorts? who gets to make short films on the blender cloud?

I’m impressed by this, reminds of some of the looney tunes work by reelfx.

This looks awesome, I adore the penguin characters. Their goofy, smug-looking expressions make me smile every time I see them. The caminandes movies have been of my favorite BF projects, looking forward to the final result!

thanks for summing this :wink:
I understand simulations often take huge amount of time, tuning them can be hell :wink:

Also, the development part is very nice, I didn’t actually know much about these upgrades, mainly because I don’t follow what preciesly is happening in the repo anymore…