Blender to Nuke

Hey everyone !

I’m french sorry if you don’t understand my english. But I have a question, it’s for to go to Blender to Nuke by multipass in Open Exr. I explain my problem, when i want to export my “animation” in open exr multilayer, and to manage my passes (shadow, diffuse etc…), when i’m going to Nuke, I do “import” my “open exr” project, I haven’t RGBA to manage my passes. I have good my passes but no RGBA why ? And moreover, I have configured in node editor, in adding “file output” with my passes. So I don’t understand.

I rode someone else that Nuke isn’t friend with Blender. Have you an idea ?

Sorry for my english ;S. I hope you understand my questions.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Compositing and Post Processing”

If you could add a couple screenshots, it might help make your question a bit more clear. Right now, it’s difficult to tell what you’re asking. Any of the image type passes should be easy to separate into RGBA channels.

Try the openEXR file in the Blender Compositor first. If you see all passes and RGBA in the Blender Compositor then you know that the file is good and you can continue to look for the error somewhere else.

Blender names layers in a way that does not tell Nuke, which one should be the RGBA to show by default. Multilayer exr adds render layer and render pass names to each channel set (layer), Nuke expects simple rgba as layer name for beauty/composite pass. Use Shuffle node to put the composite or diffuse or whatever to RGBA or change the viewer channel set from the dropdown selection in topleft corner of viewer window.

See this for quick introduction to Nuke channel management:
http://www.spherevfx.com/written-training/nuke-written-training/understanding-nukes-unique-layers-and-channel-system/

There is no problem to use layers of Blender in Nuke with shuffle node to set it like you want. Nuke is just showing rgba channel by default, but if you want to set different channel names in the render file, you can before saving the file and Nuke will display the beauty by default.

VincetG sums it up pretty well. Also worth noting that you’ll have to be prepared to create a few gizmos of your own if you’re regularly using blender with nuke. For example the Object ID pass that blender puts out gives pixel values of whatever your object id was. instead of using set colour values. So a simple gizmo with the clamp node in nuke is needed to pull a good mask. Use mist for z-depth as much as you can as the actual z depth pass in blender has values that have a range that is far too large.

By default the RGBA pass from blender shows up as renderlayer_combined or something like that in nuke.