Bones X Axis Flip Problem(file included).

I’m trying to make an animation but when I duplicate a frame the rotation messes up, and bones rotate wrong way even the angle is smaller than 180 degrees. Here is blend file…
The problem ocurs at the last frames…

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Animation and Rigging”

Please post your support questions to the proper forum.

The problem is that the rotation of your bones are not full, It is about Euler and Quaternion(Firefox English Dictionary doesn’t recognize the word :slight_smile: ) I m not the expert here but i solved it by adding more poses before the last frame. http://www.pasteall.org/blend/39600

May be you want to watch Nathan tutorial about rigging, he went deep about that subject http://www.blender3d.org/e-shop/product_info_n.php?products_id=146

But I can not pay money in that moment, do you have a free tutorial?

Hmm I see,
If you don’t have money then it is okay. I animate in Blender without understanding fully Quaternion. What you have to remember is that when your model is doing a flip make sure that you insert enough frame so that Blender can read all the action the way you want them to be.
Did you check the pasteall link blend file?

If it’s a front flip it’s 360 degrees, this means that the quaternion value gets flipped (from 1 to -1). In your file you set it to 1 again at the last keyframe which causes the flip. Well, it does a backflip to get back to the original value. To fix this you can just put a minus sign in front of the bones that are flipping (pelvis, ik foot and so on). After that you may have to tweak the rotations slightly by hand.

Also I would recommend creating a root bone for your character and move it with that instead, that way you can easily do backflips, turns and whatever else you would like. Finally you can probably make the jump look better by having the character crouch a bit before the jump.

When I try to flip the bone positions in the x axis, it doesn’t do it correctly. I’ll be glad if you help me ASAP.

yes, and thank you

Thank you for your feedback, I am spending 2+ hours everyday for around 2 months for this :P. I love modeling and animating.

You shouldn’t really think about axis when working with quaternions, with your backflip I’m pretty sure it was W. Anyway, you can either put a “-” in front of the W to “flip” it (well, not really, but the motion will go the other way around which is what you want). You should check out a video on quaternions at youtube, search for blender quaternion to find it. It will probably make things a bit clearer.