Foot step in puddle simulation

Hello,

As the title says, I’m wondering what’s the best way to create a simulation of a footstep in a puddle. I already tried do it with the fluid simulator, but as it should be in a close-shot it seems too jittery. Moreover, it takes a long time to stabilize the fluid object.

What would you do ?

Have a nice day :slight_smile:

Dynamic paint has a few different ways to handle this. You can make an expanding ring of some sort, then use dynamic paint to mark where it passes across the puddle surface. Or just use it to displace the puddle directly. The most frustrating part is actually making the ring, I would think. It would all be very simple if Blender’s torus primitive let you animate the “major radius” value, but that’s not how operators work in Blender. If you just scale the torus, you get a ring that gets proportionately fatter as it expands outward, which you don’t really want. A beveled curve has the same issue. Best idea I can come up with right now is using a beveled curve but hook the bevel size to the scale of the ring using a driver so the bevel scales down proportionately. You can put in a scaling factor if you want the ring to spread a little bit.