free alternative for sharepoint

Hey All (readers),

Basically, my co-worker really likes the idea of using the ‘sharepoint’ software. I, on the other hand, resent the idea of paying for software, left alone for micro$$oft cr@p. Do you guys know of any free or open source alternative that has the same functionality?

Thanks in advance for your time in reading and possible reply.

KR

Hewi

Samepage is free. Haven’t used it but it might serve your needs.

Are you running your own server? OwnCloud might be something worth you looking into. If you’re just interested in sharing files, you may also want to investigate SparkleShare and SyncThing.

But, I gotta say … “SharePoint is one helluva tool.” Even though it’s made by Microsoft, it’s not “crap,” and I actually think :eek: that it’s worth paying for.

I think that the most important feature SP provides you, in a business setting, is versioning and provenance. “How did this document get to be this way, and when?” “What was changed between this version and that one?” “I want to see last week’s version.” It is not version-control as a computer programmer thinks of it (e.g. “git”), but it’s extremely useful. SP is also very scalable.

So … perhaps your co-worker is right.

There are only a few products with Microsoft’s brand-name on it that I think are genuinely impressive. SharePoint happens to be one of them.

found it, Alfresco community edition. Free, open source, and as powerful as $harePoint :slight_smile: