Is Disney Racist? (Discussion)

I’m just hoping to have a conversation on the plausibility of some of the accusations of racism in Disney films.

P.s: lets try and be level headed about this. we all tend to lose our heads when on the subject of racism.

Disney I tend to view more as a reflection on the times. Keep in mind in media of that day, everyone played the race card in their works. Warner brothers did it and nearly every studio did it.

mmhmm, though it doesn’t make it right. point of view is fairly important.

I doubt many people watched Disney productions for the prejudices that were in the movies or shows, in my opinion it’s not even worth thinking about considering that things like that weren’t uncommon back then.

I agree with the video on those examples.

I think a lot of that cultural appropriation stuff inspires racism rather than identifies it. It makes even the recognition of other races and cultures a bad thing. Further it makes depicting anyone other than white males controversial, so they tend to be the default.

I am pretty sure a lot of native americans would find the scene from peter pan offensive. the jungle book, not so much. in the scene from peter pan the native americans are portrayed as stupid, ape-like, ungainly, generic, whereas the others are comparatively attractive, poised, graceful, and appear to be individuals, whose appearance reflects more than their ethnic stereotype.

I didn’t pick that up at all. They’re just celebrating culture and the Peter Pan crew does so with them. Here is the clip of that scene:

Doesn’t seem anymore disrespectful than this is:

heads up, once this gets big

people will mis understand what you said and take you for an SJW

If you say so, Although the Disney representation I won’t say it is any more offensive then anything else that has been done in media. Although kindly do not compare something from the world of media to the real thing. I do take offense to that.

yes the Cherokee dancers are dressed in a type of uniform, whereas the characters in peter pan, one has a Mohawk, one has a buffalo horn hat, and one looks like he just got in some kind of accident. say we reversed it, and instead of Indians, we substitute Europeans, who are supposedly from the same ‘tribe’, yet, one is wearing a kilt and a Russian hat, the other is playing flamenco guitar and wearing dutch wooden shoes, etc. so your comparison to ‘celebrating the culture’ is wrong. it is illustrating the lack of understanding of the culture if anything.

i doubt it will get big so i dont think i have to worry. ^.^" didn’t make the vid so it would get popular but rather so a discussion could be started.

well consider the time the film came out. im no history buff but im relatively sure that this was considered some what “accurate” at the time… or atleast non offensive. even so your example of having “Europeans, who are supposedly from the same ‘tribe’, yet, one is wearing a kilt and a Russian hat, the other is playing flamenco guitar and wearing dutch wooden shoes, etc”

wouldn’t really offend me so im not convinced that they would be offended by it either… but again i dont know. as someone who lives in the south i do find it incredibly offensive for people to say we are all illiterate inbreed red necks but really dont find the whole portrayal of us saying “ya’ll” or being cowboys or having annual rodeos at school to be even remotely offensive. even calling us rednecks isn’t really offensive until its associated with incest and ignorance. i know trying to compare southerners to natives isn’t really fair but its literally the only thing that gives me any insight on what offends anyone else.

in my opinion while it might not be building the natives up as the most amazing thing ever it isn’t saying they are the scum beneath are feet… therefor not racist… maybe insensitive but that’s as far as it can go in my book.

Nah, they’re a fictional tribe that exist in Never Land. They have their own set of customs influenced and derived from a variety of sources, but they are their own tribe independent of any real world counterpart. For your Europe example: Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones takes heavy inspiration from medieval Europe, but it doesn’t depict real world factions with any degree of accuracy either.

It’s been like 25 years since I watched Peter Pan, but if I recall the events up to that point it is because Peter Pan rescues their Princess. There is a celebration with that “What Makes a Red Man Red?” song (cute girls made them blush permanently!). They’re not being portrayed as “stupid, ape-like, ungainly, and generic.” They’re just having a party and sharing their [fictional] culture with the group. Likewise, Peter Pan and the others are not portrayed as “comparatively attractive, poised, graceful” – if anything they look uncoordinated (white people can’t dance amirite?).

Peter Pan gets more character development because he is a primary character. As the video the OP posted points out, the secondary characters tend to rely more on “stereotypes” (archetypes is the correct literary term) than character development due to time. A town drunk, greedy banker, or just a shady ne’er-do-well are common characters that are intended to be easily understood by the audience. Personally I think media (at least American media) needs to expand and include more cultures, rather than clamp down.

Despite the intentions of the OP and the surprisingly calm discussion in this thread, this type of discussion is explicitly prohibited in our Forum Rules.

Closed.