poolside animation

hey guys! i created this poolside animation in one day (if you notice, i did use some of the models from the architectural academy so i could kind of preview how it would look in the scene). also please give me some areas which i could improve on :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW since i had problems with the fluid simulations, i added a plane and put in a displacement modifier, then gave it a clouds texture and animated the size. it gives the same effect.

*PLEASE NOTE: i will be adding in a drainage beside the pool so that it doesn’t give away the realism of this animation.

here is the youtube link: https://youtu.be/uMrrjNDLVEE

Suggest you increase the samples, you are getting quite a bit of noise, especially noticeable near the end. And I’m not sure what is causing it, but the textures seem to be sliding, like across the stones on the wall. It;s like it is using global co-ordinates for the textures instead of local, but I’m not sure how that is possible.

Also, the animation is a bit too rapid, you are moving alongside the pool so fast the slats start to blur into one another.

Hi, I have lots of ideas for you! Mind you those are just my ideas for improvement not some godly advice so just feel free to ignore me… :slight_smile: Pool scene is classic! And a good choice, everyone likes pools, right? But there are many areas to improve imho.

bevel all edges. All the wooden columns (or what’s it called) have the exactly same texture coordinates and color, that is a dead giveawy (assuming you are going for realism).

The floor texture is ugly :smiley: (sorry, it is).

The stone wall texture looks COMPLETELY flat (is there a bump map at least?)

Since you are using models from the architecture academy by Andrew, I assume you could watch his videos as well? There are some great tips obviously… You could benefit a lot from them.

And perhaps the biggest improvement you could make is to think about the logic of the pool scene? Where do people come from? where would they hang their towels? wouldn’t there be puddels on the floor beside the pool? where would they sit afterwards? Wouldn’t the ceramic tottaly glossy tiles in the hall be a death trap for wet feet? Isn’t the hall too narrow? Who put a table in there, isn’t it in my way? And is it floating???

Also, dont even bother trying to use fluid simulation for large mostly stable bodies of water. I think even completely flat plane with noise texture as a bumb map would serve you well enough and you would maybe save some render time :slight_smile: Also the color of the water seems odd to me. And if you shown some underwater lamps illuminating the water and causing some glorious caustics, it could be beautiful… :slight_smile:

Perhaps don’t waste your time with animation just yet, first make the scene look great!

those are just some thoughts anyway… Good luck :slight_smile:

Yeah i didnt really want to render a long animation, so i just kept it between the usual 250 frames.

Hi there, i didnt buy the architectural academy, i just got the freebies pack. i did this way before i watched his realistic texturing tutorial, so the textures are pretty bad. and where they would come in is through that small door that connects the hallway to the pool, but i havent really thought about the logic, thats a good point. the water is supposed to be blue, like how a generic swimming pool would look. thanks for your critiques though!