Using Nodes to Make a Material Partially Transparent

:rolleyes:Ok, So:
Let me just say, I usually use the ‘Blender Render’ setting. I’ve been obligated to try out ‘Cycles’ (for a new design I’ve been working on :eyebrowlift2:, and I’ve found out that it’s a LOT more difficult than the B.R. setting. Anyway, I’ve finally figured my way around the mode, I got it all set up, yet when I have rendered the final image, its all blurry. This is unusual (but probably not unheard of). Another thing is that the glass and the iron bars are filled in with black, instead of being transparent. How do I fix this? I’ve put the practice render below to compare with the final render. See if you can see the before and after, and how I could make this a better render. Is the lighting wrong? Are the materials’ not set to the right shade? Please lets me know. Thanks.

(Rendered In Order [Top to Bottom]: Top: First, Bottom: Final)

Are the materials’ not set to the right shade?
How are we supposed to know ? We have no info about your materials

Another thing is that the glass and the iron bars are filled in with black, instead of being transparent. How do I fix this?
Use the texture alpha or a b+w texture as the factor in a mix shader node mixing the bar material with a transparent shader

I got it all set up, yet when I have rendered the final image, its all blurry.
Highlight the issue, don’t make us guess. How many render samples are you using

I think the problem might be too low samples, resulting in noise. About the transparency, you need to follow Richard’s instructions. Really, those are classic issues, you should learn to search stuff instead of asking for every little thing that was already solved thousands of times.

I apologize, I thought I could have a little 1on1 help, instead of looking at other peoples’ problems and trying to fix my own. Thanks for the partial advice. :spin:

Also, the material below, is the one I use for every single object… F.Y.I.:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]412148[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]412149[/ATTACH]

I need to use nodes in order to make a material partially transparent (in cycles). As you can see below, the iron bars are filled in black, instead of being transparent. Can anyone help me on this? There weren’t any other videos or threads of this problem that I could find. Thanks.

Here’s what I have so far:

need image with alpha like PNG or other

then in image node use the alpha output

happy cl

This is what happened… What exactly Did​ happen?

but do you have an image with alpha?

can you upload a sample file with pack image

may be cut the model to a minimum size just to test image

happy cl

The first thing I notice in your image is that you don’t have anything connected to the output node.

… and even then there wont be anything transparent - even assuming image contains transparency mask there is no Transparent BSDF box in your (RickyBlender’s, as a matter of fact) noodles.

Exactly, what type of node am I supposed to add at the final output? And I do have a transparent image, but I don’t quite understand how to use the texture to my advantage, with alpha included.

Attachments

I did what you said, but where do I connect the transparent node? :

I PM your a working file

check out the nodes set up

copy it to your file and change image name

happy bl

So I figured something out for my nodes, but now I can’t find my U.V. image 0_0… Why cant anything just work on the first try… :no:

try on image node to delete it and re load image
might work if you have a UV unwrap

in UV editor you may have to select your image in the menu for images on bottom header of IV editor

happy bl

Ill try. Cycles is so confusing, but has good results in the end ;). I guess I’m just used to B.R. .

can you upload file with pack image
then we can see what is wrong and make it work!

happy bl

Now, how do I upload the file? With a ‘Pack Image’? Man, I feel so stupid… Sorry for my clueness-ness… :o

pack image
file menu at top header and at bottom select pack image

then in forum you go to advance mode and upload file
if file is less then about 6 MB it should work

also re save as and on bottom left set compress
this will reduce file size

happy bl