cryptoware virus

FYI

Yesterday my PC was infected with the cryptoware virus. All day all I did was watch you tube tuts on blender. I also tried to dl an add on for blender. It got into all major areas of PC, blender, pics, multiple drives. It’s ransomeware. I was forced to delete the entire OS. Factory reset all drives.
I wish I could pinpoint the exact website but I cannot. I can only say that all day was about blender learning.
So beware peeps are using a blender facade to use ransomeware. I am not saying its anyone in community but …beware! It got into everything.

How your PC got infected ? Through videos or PDF tutorials ?

Backup, backup, backup. A habit that every computer user needs to have.

At least I hope it’s something that applies to you.

i am guessing that you are using Microsoft Win 10
( win7and8 would have AUTO upgraded you )

were you using the old Internet explorer or the NEW win10 browser
or
Firefox

some advertising can auto install malware on MS Windows OS’s – all you have to do is SEE the ad and you are infected

Correction, Windows wants to upgrade you, but all you have to do to prevent it is click on the ‘X’ in the corner.

I’m still on Win7 for instance.

I got served malware the other day by a hacker using dells certification, my pc was slow for a while after that(I did not know why at the time)

a notice popped up today and said that the certificate was compromised and any applications installed using it needed removed and reinstalled fresh,

now my pc is fast again, but I wish I could see the gpu temp…

also, windows maintenance pops up occasionally while rendering or playing fallout and about crashes the computer when it and antimalware and the otber app are battling for my hard drive…

I’ll second the backup suggestion.

I’m always good with backing up my finished and work in progress files and sometimes my save-games and program settings. However by the time I get a new computer in a few months, it’s a goal that I back-up, regularly, both a clean OS install and an install that it set-up with my latest software versions and settings.

I need it to be very easy and fast to revert to a well performing version of the system. Normally I just do a clean install two or three times a year but it eats up too much time and if something starts to run sluggish, I usually end up putting up with it for 2 or 3 weeks first before I do a clean install. Gotta fix that bad habbit.

everytime someone says FYI for some reason I automatically picture…

That’s besides the point.

sorry man,
shit happens

W7/64, IE11

I had done some drive maintenance last week, transfered much to my cloud.
This took out all restore points, got into game files, ms files, chit was everywhere.
After thinking out my internet track , I will say this. I google the phrase, blender add-one. I went to a site that was done up well, very polished, it’s shortcut icon was an A in a red background. There was an add on listed for doing glass. I tried to dl it and another. They did not appear in the user prefer add one. I think this is where it came from???

Thanks for message.

If you’re using Edge, that might have been part of the problem. Edge currently doesn’t support addons, meaning no in-browser antivirus. Whenever you go somewhere on the shady side always switch to IE- or use Chrome/ Firefox if that’s your thing, I don’t judge.

what antivirus do you run?

anti malwarebytes premy
I also just added malwarebytes anti-exploit, after the fact.

I have my computer infected with the virus cryptowall, I can not open any document, can someone help to neutralize the virus

Try using Linux now to avoid virus problems in the future. I use Blender with Linux and it all have what I need and no virus prolems. You can also use Linux to browse your Windows 10 OS partition and delete virus files.

No, you either pay the ransom or do what I did, clean install…

Heavy deal with many viruses in lifetime, here is what I know.
Virus enter system, is stupid if reveal itself immediately, like spy.
It waits a bit, then strikes so you are not aware of which thing gave it to you.
Then, if is too severe, consider wiping your PC. You will find a good feeling from having a fresh start in computer.

Data backups work wondersRansomware like so-called .micro file virus, isn’t nearly as almighty and destructive in case you run regular file backups to the cloud or external data media. The virus itself can be completely removed in a matter of minutes, and the distorted information can then be just as easily recovered from the backup. Luckily, this is a growing trend, so ransom Trojans are hopefully going to become less subversive in the near future.