Got Cuda to show up with Nvidia 352 Linux Mint 17.3 BUT...

My computer specs:
MSI GT72qe
Dual boot: Windows 10 and Linux Mint 17.3 beta Cinnamon 64-bit

CPU: i7 5700hq 2.7ghz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 980m 8gb w/ Nvidia 352.63 Driver installed

1tb 7200 rpm (storage)
4 x 128gb Toshiba m.2 SSD (disabled raid0 and used as individual ssd with each OS on its own drive)

I have installed both updated Blender 2.7b from the terminal and downloaded Blender for Linux from the website; I ran both of them and none of them have CUDA showing up when I want to enable GPU rendering in the preference; I only have CPU option.

I then followed this tutorial: https://sn0v.wordpress.com/2012/12/07/installing-cuda-5-on-ubuntu-12-04/

And downloaded the cuda toolkit from Nvidia site (I got the 14.04 version when prompted )

The installation is going to take a bit of time to install so sit back and wait.

After completing the installation based on the tutorial listed above in the link, I launched Blender and was able to find CUDA appearing in the preference dialog and my 980m showing up.

I tested it out and there was a really long wait time to render even for the default scene cube. BUT after the wait due to it cuda computing, I am now able to use the full speed of cycles with my 980m.

I then tried to test it out after reboot to see if CUDA still shows up and works and if I have to wait a long time.

I now have a problem with x-server failed to load and was initially brought into the full black screen terminal. :frowning:

I tried to manually restart x-server by typing:

sudo restart mdm

But I keep getting the error.

I then tried reinstalling it but it doesn’t work either and also booted into recovery mode and selected dpkg to repair broken packages and it didn’t help at all.

I’m stuck now. Any help?

I use Mint qiana and i solved my cuda problem the day before yesterday without any blackflag-thingy touched. My GT630 works now with the one that was once recommended for - long time ago. I think it’s the 304-driver. Nvidia’s page tells me the new 352 supports my card, but that is only true if you don’t need cuda. My suspicion is that you have to have the coresponding nvidi-modprobe installed, or never. I have, as i said, nvidia 304(-update) and modprobe 340. Now it works. I don’t know how long this will work, and the renderspeed is disappointing (3 times slower than my cpu), but it workes. So flackblagging isn’t always necessary. But i’m the Antinerd. Better get a third opinion.

That I had explained in the other thread works with any version of the driver installed from driver manager or package manager. If the driver version you want is not in the repositories, you can use this PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

After installing the driver you do not forget to install “nvidia-modprobe” package and reboot the system.