Help With Vertex Painting etc

I’m trying to texture a ship i’ve built. i was following the “Shading a Sci-fi helmet” tute, but what worked yesterday now doesn’t so i must be missing something obvious from my scribbled notes, but i can’t work out what.
i’ve:-
unwrapped my cabin models,
created a new material
Gone to Texture PAint, and created a new Slot
in Vert Paint mode, i went to the UV/Image window, created a new image and began colouring. this, as far as i recall, is what i did yester for the hull. it worked then, today it doesn’t. no updated painting appears in the UV window, and when i try my Bakes, i get “no object/image to bake to”

i’m pretty sure this is how i did it yester, but there was a good amouint of messing about until something finally worked so no doubt i’ve missed a step, hopefully someone could give me a simple bullet list?

in addition, i notice when i look at my list of images in the UV/Image drop down list, there’s a ton of names w/ up to five or so “.001” “.002” etc ~ where did they come from and how do i get rid of them? they aren’t on my computer, according to a name search.

TIA

in Vert Paint mode, i went to the UV/Image window
If you want to paint on an image you use Texture Paint not Vertex Paint !

Supply more detailed info, blend files and screenshots. Be clear and don’t ramble in your description

there’s a ton of names w/ up to five or so “.001” “.002” etc ~ where did they come from
You created them

" it worked then, today it doesn’t" - important - images you will paint (Texture Paint mode, as Richard Marklew points out) need to be saved separately (from UV Editor menu or Toolshelf - Slots *) BEFORE you save and close blend file. There wont be any warnings; if you do not save images they will be gone next time you open blend file.

*) Slots - Save All Images button will save images IF they have been initially saved from UV Editor menu.

when i said “paint” i meant block painting, laying in the foundational colours as per the course.

“You created them” so where are they and how do i trim them from the list cos i don’t need them?

There are Texture (image) paint and Vertex (color) paint modes anyways. You could use Vertex paint and later bake/use vertex colors as additional texture ofc however i assumed you’d rather use and speak Texture paint mode since images in UV editor are mentioned.

You can get rid of not needed resources, images included, by deleting datablock users. Blender adds “0” to selection lists/dropdowns to such resources signaling that there are no users of this data. If blend file is then saved and reopened such resources (images included ;)) are gone forever. This is the only way to ‘delete’ not needed data in Blender: make sure no users, save, open.

To delete users on image you see in UV editor Shift click on X next to the image selector:

Hi

I will try to give You a bullet list…But first.

I think You mix Vertex and texture paint together.
Texture paint use a Image to paint on and Vertex paint use the Mesh verties for paint information…

Because of that You need a Very dense Mesh to get a good result…With Vertex paint.

You say You unwrap Your mesh that’s for texture painting…:slight_smile:

Split viewport so You can see Uv/image editor.

Select Mesh go texture paint…Add simple Uv’s - See Uv editor…Mesh is unwrapped.

Click Add Paint Slot - Give it a name…Now in Uv Editor - Select it in - menu line Uv editor.

It get black and ready to paint on…But.!!!

Before You do anything…Menu line Uv/editor - see after Image there are a little * it means .file isen’t saved - save it - F3

Now Blender… Save all images…Work in T - panel Slot tap.

Last is to set texture to Your object.

Hope this can clear it up a little…Puff Puff

Ohh Forgot Vertex paint…Click Data tap in properties - Vertex Colors

Select Mesh Go Vertex Paint…Now There is a Col - In Properties Vertex Colors tap.

Give Mesh a Material and in Surface Color Box click dark box right side…Select - input - Attribute

In the Box below Type the name…Default is Col…Take care It’s case sensitive

Tai

thanks, but I still can’t get that to work.

part of the Texture/Vert confusion i think comes from teh course. Kent starts off setting things in Texture paint then points out the fill tool doesn’t work correctly so we move on to the Vert Paint to block the colours for the item, so some of the set up is in Tex Paint, and the rest is in Vert paint, which may be the cause of the confusion.

anyway, i unlinked a load of images etc (thanks for that tip Eppo!) and tried the steps above. I’m using Blender Render for this stage, as per the course.
“Select Mesh go texture paint…Add simple Uv’s - See Uv editor…Mesh is unwrapped.” not sure i understand that, there was no option in Tex Paint to add UVs so i just did it in Edit mode, wiping the existing UV entry from my Data tab beforehand.

did all the other steps, mesh is black as you say, but this step confused me: “Give Mesh a Material and in Surface Color Box click dark box right side…Select - input - Attribute” ~ i created a new Material, but i don’t understand the rest. i don’t have a dark box at the right?

" Kent starts off setting things in Texture paint then points out the fill tool doesn’t work correctly so we move on to the Vert Paint to block the colours for the item"
Unfortunately this is a paid course and me haz no clue what Mr Kent T. is talking about in that video. Yet there is Blender free of charge and things which could be done using it’s buttons.
What are you doing - vertex paint or texture paint? You can mix results of both modes later but please stop on one or another and describe where is the problem?

Usually one wants more precision/control over what automatic procedures can do - this includes UV unwraps. Have you watched all parts of that video, do they devote some time to unwrapping object? If not and if you’re in doubt what should your UV unwrap look like maybe see some video on UV unwrapping? Because if there are overlapping uvs or anything else wrong your texture painting wont work.

By “dark box at the right” Taipan likely assumed you being in Cycles render, Material tab, on Surface - >Color :

Yea Sorry.

I’m in Cycles as Eppo say…Thank’s Eppo…:slight_smile:

To see vertex paint Color in Blender Render…In Properties - Material - Tic - Vertex color paint in the options box.

Tai

yeah, the early parts of the course are about unwrapping, which i don’t have issues w/.
i’m doing Vert paint, to block colour the various bits of mesh, then bake those as diffuse/AO maps etc which we use in Cycles texturing.

Idk then. Image paint fill from menu Brush -> Image Paint Tool - Fill (checkbox) allows to fill either all object or masked (selected) faces only, i do not see any errors with that. In UV editor same face masking applies - selected in 3d editor face region is filled with selected color. Could be errors mentioned in tut are weeded out.
Vertex color does take significant amount of vertices to bear color information and have reasonable resolution. It’s easy to bake or use in mix later though.