Frustrating model moving in edit/object mode

Hi I am really frustrated with a model im trying to create.

I thought i would try and give it another shot after watching several vids on youtube and buying a couple of DVDs from blender store :slight_smile:

I have got to a point where i have model and retopologized the head as instructed and want to create the eyes. But when i go from object mode to edit mode on the head to adjust the eye sockets the head jumps position. I have applied the loc/rot/scale in object mode as you do and the pivot point is in the centre of the mesh but it still jumps position. As any one got any ideas.

The only other thing I have noticed is that if i turn off the armature the mesh jumps to the same position as the edit mode mesh. (see images)

can anyone please help

Many thanks

1 Like

Do you have any shapekeys? That could be throwing things off in edit mode, as whichever shapekey is selected will show up in edit mode, regardless of how it appears in object mode…

No havnt got any shape keys…havnt quiet got that far

You better upload a blend if you can.

Make sure rotation, scale and location is applied (Ctrl+A in object mode with object selected if i remember correctly)

If you want a rigged mesh to be displayed the same way in object mode and edit mode you need to ensure that the box and triangle icons are turned on in the armature modifier, https://www.blender.org/manual/modeling/modifiers/introduction.html#interface
Now the reason why your rig is causing your mesh to translate a small amount is likely due to a bone being moved in pose mode, without the blend file I can’t tell you exactly which one is causing it but if your rig isn’t too complex then you shouldn’t have much issue finding out which one it is.

Go into pose mode for your armature, select all bones and do Pose/Clear All? Sounds like you’ve set a pose and that’s what you’re seeing in Object mode. When you go into Edit mode you are seeing the mesh unaffected by the armature.

i think it’s that. You can also check those other buttons in the armature modifier to make sure that what it does (the modifier) is shown also in edit mode

Brilliant advise guys worked like a charm.

removed all poses and activated the buttons on the properties panel as instructed.

BINGO

Thanks for your help guys …appreciate it.

I had similar problem, My model was an MMD model so it had shape keys. basically in Object mode go to object > convert > Mesh it will remove all object keys
If you want them back reimport the orginal model and then watch this -https://youtu.be/KLr6YdJIQxw