Get rid of triangles at top of sphere? SOLVED

Hi,

I’m trying to model a head and this tip is proving to be troublesome in the subsurface render. What’s the easiest way to go about converting this tip to quads?

How I’d do it is to delete the tris, and make an n-gon. Then select verticies opposite one another on the x or y axes, and divide the Ngon using the j key, until the top caps match with this image below:

Then, from there, I’m not sure if there’s a way to turn the caps into a sphere automatically, without deforming the geometry already made, but you could use the proportional editing tool to attempt to keep the curve at the top spherical

Don’t know guy. Blender actually has a primitive for that if you search but could a cube subdivided do the same thing.

there is also a polysphere addon

happy bl

as above
or the old way
select and “remove doubles”

select 2 tris then hit F

Or if you want different topology, remove the tris, join two opposite edges with ‘F’, then use a combination of ‘F’ to add faces and CTRL+R to put loop cuts in so you get nice quad structures. The key there is ensuring you have the right number of sides to get a tidy result.
In this instance, 32 verts, (std sphere), here are 3 possible ways of redoing the triangles, you could also select the edge ring, extrude that in and then redo to make the section smaller of course.

Wow, thanks for the help everyone! I was able to use all this to figure it out and get rid of the tris! Thank you!